Castle Thorpe pub history index
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Buckinghamshire. The Buckinghamshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
CASTLETHORPE is a parish in the hundred and union of Newport Pagnell,
bounded on the west by the river Yare, situate 3 miles from Stony Stratford,
3 N. of the Railway Station at Wolverton, and 11 from Northampton. Here was
the ancient castle of the barony of Hanslope. A deep ditch, and a lofty
artificial mount are tho only remains of this building. The ancient church
stands in the centre of the village, and has a very low square tower. The
living is united with the vicarage of Hanslope, of which the Rev. Mark
Anthony Nicholson, M.A., is incumbent. The parish is intersected by the main
line of the London and North Western Railway, and contains an area of 1380
acres, with a population in 1861 of 338 persons.
Addison William esq
Drake Rear Admiral
Fowler Henry Smith esq
Amos Sarah (Mrs), farmer
Bull Mrs, farmer
Carr William, miller and farmer, Castlethorpe mill
Crompton James, cowkeeper
Compton Joseph, butcher
Compton Thomas, carpenter
Denny William, shoemaker and shopkeeper
Eakins William, tailor
Grimes William, farmer
Harris Hy, florist & nurseryman
Harris Matthew, blacksmith
Panter William, carrier
Rainbow John, carpenter
Rainbow Rebecca (Mrs), shopkeeper and post office
Soden Richard, Pea Hen Inn, and farmer
Tooth Elizabeth (Mrs), school mistress
Tooth James, butcher
Varney Robert, baker and beer retailer
Post Office.- Mrs Rebecca Rainbow, sub-postmistress. Letters delivered at 7-30 a.m.; dispatched at 5-45 p.m.
Carrier - Panter, to Spread Eagle, Northampton, wed. and sat.; to Stony Stratford, fri.
**** Provided By Kevan