You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

Chalfont St Giles 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co directory

Chalfont St Giles pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Buckinghamshire. The Buckinghamshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

CHALFONT ST. GILES is a large village and parish in the hundred of Burnham, union of Amersham, situate on the west of the Misbourne stream, 3 1/2 miles S.E. of Amersham, 2 from Chalfont St. Peters, 4 from Gerrard's Cross, and 23 from London. The church is a very ancient structure, in the Norman style; the interior is neat, and contains an old Saxon font. In the chancel (which has been lately restored) was discovered behind one of the marble monuments, a very handsome double piscina, in one of the drains of which were found nine silver coins, some of them of the reign of Edward I. There are brasses to the Gardiner and Fleetwood families; monuments to Dr. Francis Hare, Bishop of Chichester, and his family; also to Sir S. Fleetwood, Sir Hugh Palliser, the Rev W. Jones, Charles Molloy, and Thomas Allen, Esqrs. The living is a rectory, in the deanery of Amersham and gift of the Bishop of Oxford, annual value 804; the Rev. Charles Lloyd, rector. At Jordans is the burial-place of the Quakers, called the Westminster of that persuasion, from the fact that the ancestors of most of the leading Quakers of the present day are there interred. Here lie the remains of the great William Penn, Governor of Pennsylvania; of Thomas Elwood, author of "Davideus;" also of the Penningtons, Mastermans, Mildreds, Peters, and others brought from different parts of England to be buried at this place. There are chapels for Independents, Congregationalists, and Primitive Methodists. A very fine building has lately been erected for the Free National School, the old one having been found inadequate to the wants of the population. This institution is endowed by the late Sir Hugh Palliser, Bart., with a sum of money at present producing 43 per annum, also with two sums of 664 13s. 4d. each, bequeathed by Mrs Molloy and the Rev. W. Jones. Among the objects of interest in tbe village is the house in which the immortal John Milton resided during the plague of London in 1665. It was here, when already blind, he concluded his "Paradise Lost," and drew out the first design of "Paradise Regained." The house bears the name of Milton on its front, and is a humble half-timbered cottage. The Vache, the property of Thomas Newland Allen, Esq., JP., lord of the manor, was according to local tradition, a dairy-farm of King John. It was the ancient residence of the Fleetwoods, one of whom having been one of the Judges of Charles I., was attainted and this estate confiscated to the Crown, from whence it passed to James, Duke of York, afterwards James II., who sold it in 1665 to Sir Thomas Clayton, from whom it descended to his son, who bequeathed it to his wife who left it to her niece, then the wife of Bishop Hare, the representatives of whom sold it to the late Sir Hugh Palliser, whose son sold it to Thomas Allen, Esq, father of Thomas Newland Allen, Esq., the present possessor. The other mow important seats in the neighbourhood are the Rectory (lately enlarged and improved), the residence of the Rev. Charles Lloyd, J.P.; the Stone House, the Rev. Henry Palmer; Stone Dean, the Rev. Edward Moore; and the Grove, Mrs. Hannah Priestley. The parish comprises an area of 3641 acres; the soil is i loam, and chalk; the population in 1861 was 1217.

Allen Thomas Newland, esq., J.P.
Anthony Mrs Mary
Best Rev J. K., (curate), Hill cottage
Fenn Rev W. M., Misbonrne honse
Hutchings Mr William, Three households
Lloyd Rev Charles, J.P., Rectory
Morten Richard, esq., Misbourne farm
Mair Mrs Sarah, Nightingale house
Moore Rev Edward, Stone dean
Newlyn Rev Peter
Nisbet Ralph Paterson, esq., Row wood
Palmer Rev Henry, the Stone house
Priestley Mrs Hannah, the Grove

Ayres George, blacksmith
Ayres Henry, bricklayer
Bell Thomas, tailor
Blake John, Pheasant
Brooks John, farmer, Loudhams
Bryan E. W., National schoolmaster
Burgess Thomas, farmer
Busby George, Three Sugar Loaves
Busby Sarah (Mrs), draper and grocer
Clark Joseph, boot and shoemaker
Clarke Richard, farmer, Three households
Colemam Daniel, farmer, Rowling's farm
Curtis John, Crown, and butcher
Curtis Mary, White Hart, Three households
Curtis William, baker and beer retailer
Davis _, farmer, Three households
Edwards Thomas, bricklayer
Fenn Rev W. M., gents' preparatory school
Fenner Edward, chairmaker, Three households
Gaymer Mary (.Mrs), National shool mistress
Goodman William, farmer, grocer, & postmaster
Goodman William Cammyer, farmer, Bowstridge farm
Gurney James, farmer, miller, and maltster
Gurney Thomas, farmer, Bottom's farm
Hancox Edward, farmer, Gorelands
Hearne John, wheelwright
Hearne Joseph, carpenter
Hearne William, carpenter and beer retailer
Hitchcock Sarah (Mrs), plumber, glazier and painter
Kirby Joseph, brickmaker, Frogball
Lane Edmund, grocer
Miller John, grocer
Montague Henry, Rose & Crown, Ivy house
Morten Richard, farmer, Misbourne farm
Mortimer Joseph, carpenter and farmer
Mortimer Mary Ann (Mrs), shopkeeper, Three households
Nash William, saddler
Nash William, jun. farmer and butcher
Pierce John, beer retailer and wood and coal dealer
Robertson Robert, farmer, Ashwell farm
Robinson George, farmer, Horwood downs
Rowles James, farmer
Safwell Thomas, shopkeeper and sieve maker, Three households
Stacey James, baker
Stone William, chairmaker, Three households
Tripp Lowing, blacksmith, Three households
Weedon Thomas, farmer, Grove farm
Wetton Alfred, draper, grocer and cheesemonger
Williams Thomas Winn, corn and cattle dealer
Willmott George, barometer cabinet maker
Worley Daniel, chairmaker
Wooster George, farmer, Upper Bottoms farm

Post Office - Mr William Goodman, post master. Letters from Gerrard's cross, arrive at 8 a.m. and are dispatched at 6 p.m., except Sundays, when they are dispatched at 11 a.m.
National School - Mr E. W. Bryan, master; Miss Mary Gaymer, mistress
Coach To London. - A coach from Wendover passes through every morning at half past 8, and returns every evening at half past 6

**** Provided By Kevan

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 07-Oct-2020 13:39:46 BST