Search London wiki and Pub wiki history sites

All public house, restaurants, bars etc closed for the forseeable future from 20th March 2020, but this is a history site.

Chenies 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co directory

Chenies pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Buckinghamshire. The Buckinghamshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

CHENIES is a pleasant village and parish, situate near the Ches stream, in the midst of a country richly wooded and interspersed with many gentlemen's seats, 5 miles S.S.E. from Chesham, and 4 E. from Amersham, in the hundred of Burnham, and union of Amersham. This place was formerly called "Istenhampstead," but derived its present name from the ancient family of Cheyne, its former possessors. The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, has recently been beautifully restored. The north chapel solely contains the splendid monuments and regal looking tombs of the Russells, of which family it has been the burial place since 1556. In the church are also a number of monuments to the noble family of Bedford, and a remarkable brass to Sir John and Lady Molyneux, widow of Sir John Cheyne, dated 1494; also a beautiful brass to her niece Anne Phelyps, dated 1510. The living is a rectory, value 630, in the patronage of the Duke of Bedford, and deanery of Amersham; the Hon. and Rev Lord "Wriothesley Russell is rector. Close to the church is a most interesting Gothic fragment of the manor house, some six or seven centuries ago, the residence of Lord Chenies. It was afterwards the residence of the Russells, being almost rebuilt by the first Lord Russell, in the 16th century. Among the principal residences is Latimer, the demesne of Lord Chesham, about a mile distant from the village; and the seat of the Hon. and Rev Lord Wriothesley Russell. Here is a chapel for Baptists and a National School, wherein 40 boys and 40 girls are educated; also a school for infants. The charities, given by the Duke of Bedford, amount to about 70 per annum. There are ten almshouses, for poor women, founded and endowed in 1603, by Anne, Countess of Warwick, daughter of the second Earl of Bedford. In 1861 the population was 468; area of the parish, 1744 acres.

Gentry
Parker Thomas MD
Eickards Frederick C, esq
Russell Hon and Rev Lord Wriothsley
Seymour Rev W
Ststham Rev John
Wittaker Mrs

Traders
Armstrong Caroline (Mrs), baker
Armstrong Letitia (Mrs), straw bonnet maker
Barr John, Bedford Arms and postmaster
Beeson John, blacksmith
Body George, farmer, Lodge farm
Body Wm, farmer, Mount farm
Brown Daniel, boot & shoemaker
Brown Samuel, carrier
Bryant Mary (Mrs), grocer
Clarke M (Mrs), infant school mistress
Collins Thos, boot & shoemaker
Dolman James, National schoolmaster
Forbes Miss, ladies school
Glenister John, beer retailer, bricklayer and linen draper
Hockley Harriet (Mrs), National schoolmistress
Hughes John Martin, corn dealer, tailor and beer retailer
Kemp John, Plough
Kentish Jesse, grocer
Kentish Wm, wheelwright
Loder Robert, baker
Marshall James, butcher and farmer
Perry Richard, wood steward
Wallington Henry, pig butcher
Warrell Joseph, boot & shoemaker
Warrell Wm, engineer, millwright etc
Weston Henry, draper & grocer
Wilson W, farmer, Green street farm


Post Office. - John Barr, receiver. Letters arrive from Rickmansworth at 7 a.m., and 2-30 p.m.: and are dispatched at 5-30 pm.
The Railway Omnibus, from Chesham to Rickmanswortb, calls at the Bedford Arms, every morniug at 8-45, and returns every evening (Sundays excepted) at 6-45 Carriers to London - Brown, from his house, every mon and thurs., to Angel, Farringdon street; returns every wed. and fri.


**** Provided By Kevan

And Last updated on: Sunday, 29-Mar-2020 00:25:59 GMT