Use the search box below to research your ancestors by surname, street name, pub name etc. etc.
Do you have detail to add, please contact me : Kevan

Ellesborough 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co directory

Ellesborough pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Buckinghamshire. The Buckinghamshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

ELLESBOROUGH is a parish in the hundred of Aylesbury, union of Wycombe, situate 2 1/2 miles W. by S. of Wendover. It was formerly a place of considerable importance, and is mentioned by Lambard in the 16th century as
follows: - " It should seme by H. Huntington that it was of more accompte in auncient tyme, than it is at this day, for he nombrethe it amongest the chief townes of that parte." The parish contains an area of 3310 acres, with a population in 1861 of 724. Chequers Court, the seat of Lady Frankland Russell, is one of the most beautiful places in the county, and is supposed to have derived its name from having been the Exchequer in the reign of John. With the exception of the south front, which is modern, the present mansion, with its gables and bay window remains as it was repaired by Mr. William Hawtrey, its possessor in the reign of Elizabeth. His initials (W. H.) still remain on the north front, with a haw-tree between them and chequers on each side. The house contains the most valuable collection of portraits and relics of Oliver Cromwell and his family in existence; they are found here in consequence of the marriage in 1664 of Sir John Russell with Frances, youngest daughter of the Protector, and widow of Robert Rich. The church is a very ancient structure, of Saxon architecture, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. The east wall is Norman, and the interior is fitted up in the Gothic style. It has a square tower with four bells, nave, aisles, and organ. The living is a rectory with residence, value 370, arising from 340 acres of glebe land, in the patronage of Lady Frankland Russell, of Chequers Court. The Rev Joseph Bancroft Reade, M.A. and F.R.s., incumbent. A school for boys and girls was erected some years past by Sir Robert and Lady Russell. There are almshouses for four old men and four old women.

Frankland Russell the Lady Louisa Ann, Chequers court
Head Miss Ann
Reade Rev Joseph Bancroft, M.A., F.R.s. (rector)
Stone John Stevens, esq., Terrick house
Terry Charles, esq

Benyon William, miller
Billington George, farmer, Wellwick farm
Birch John, beer retailer
Blackwell William, schoolmaster
Brooks Charles, farmer and dealer
Brooks William, farmer and dealer
Cartwright John, Fox Inn, Dunsmore
Chapman Thomas, farmer, Apsley farm
Clark Thomas, farmer, Brockwell farm
Eldridge William, blacksmith, Terrick
Elliott Alfred, farmer, Chalkshire farm
Elliott Joseph, farmer, Bushey Leys farm
Goodson Mrs, farmer, Nash Lee
Hailey John, farmer, Nash Lee
King Joseph, Russell Arm Inn
Kingham Joshua, farmer, Dodd's farm
Miles James, bricklayer
Munger Robert, farmer, Chalkshire
Piggott Frederick, farmer, Lodge farm
Rayner Thomas, butcher and market gardener
Redrup Abel, postmaster
Richardson Thomas George, farmer, chalkshire
Rogers Thomas, farmer, Avery 's firm
Rymill William, farmer, Nash Lee
Thompson Daniel, farmer, Dunsmore
Tofield Daniel, grocer
Towerton Thomas, farmer, Coombe
Varney John, grocer, Dunsmore
Verey Emonuel, farmer. Grove farm
Whitchureh John, former, Church farm
White William, Plough Inn, Terrick

Post Office. - Abel Redrup, receiver. Letters dispatched at 7 p.m.

**** Provided By Kevan

And Last updated on: Sunday, 29-Mar-2020 00:26:22 GMT