Cambridge pub history index
Listed as the Druids in 1852. This pub was demolished in 1982 when the whole area was redeveloped. A replacement pub was built nearby in Napier Street. This has been in and out of pub use in recent years and is currently a restaurant. Listed in 1851 as the Druids Arms. **
The 1911 census summary names this as the Ancient Shepherds, another interesting fact, maybe the enumerator was having a drink at each pub along their route.
The original pub was in Fitzroy Street and was demolished to make way for the
Kite Centre / Grafton Centre. The numbering alters through road renumbering,
with the Ancient Druids altering from 34 Fitzroy street to later being 92 & 94
Fitzroy street by 1966. In the later numbering, the Fitzroy Arms was at 34
Fitzroy street, previously being at 7 Fitzroy street, just to confuse matters.
The license was transferred to a new building with the same name at 11 Napier
Street nearby. That building still exists but it is no longer a pub.
Ancient Druids, 11 Napier Street, Cambridge - in August 2010
Kindly provided by Stephen Harris
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Cambridgeshire .
Residents at this address
1851/T Hoalden/../../../Gardner’s Directory **
1852/John Langten/../../../Slaters Directory
1861/Thomas Houlden/Publican/36/St Andrew the Less, Cambridgeshire/Census
1861/Robert Houlden/Father, Retired Publican/69/St Andrew the Less,
Cambridgeshire/Census
1861/Mary Houlden/Mother/68/St Marys, Norfolk/Census
1869/Thos Houlden/../../../Post Office Directory
1871/Thomas Houlden/Licensed Victualler, Ancient Druids/47/St Andrew the
Less, Cambridge/Census
1871/Mary Houlden/Mother, Widow/71/St Mary, Norfolk/Census
1871/William Russell Brookes/Nephew, Boot Closer/38/St Andrew the Less,
Cambridge/Census
1879/Thos Houlden/../../../Kellys Directory
1881/Thomas Houlden / Innkeeper/../../Spalding’s Directory of Cambridge **
1881/Thomas Houlden/Innkeeper/56/Cambridge/Census
1881/Mary Andrews/Housekeeper/35/Cambridge/Census
1883/Thos Houlden/../../../Kellys Directory
1888/Edward Spence/../../../Kellys Directory
1891/John Newell/Publican/22/Sudbury, Suffolk/Census *
1891/Thomas Fras Newell/Brother, Assistant/19/Sudbury, Suffolk/Census
1892/Mrs Maria Chisholm/../../../Kellys Directory
1896/James Flack/../../../Kellys Directory
1904/Thomas Chapman/../../../Kellys Directory
1913/D S Stafford/../../../Spalding Directory
1916/Geo Edward Banes/../../../Kellys Directory
1933/Frank Kimberley/../../../Kelly’s Directory **
1935/F J Kimberley/../../../Kellys Directory
* Provided By Mick Coomber
** Provided By Stephen Harris
Provided By Paul Berrisford