Use the search box below to research your ancestors by surname, street name, pub name etc. etc.
Do you have detail to add, please contact me : Kevan

Five Bells, St Marys Square, Newmarket, Cambridgeshire

at Mill Hill Square in 1879

The Five Bells was named for the fact that St. Mary's Church nearby originally had five bells. Lodgings of the racing tout Daniel Dawson, hanged in front of 15,000 spectators in Cambridge for poisoning horses belonging to Mr. Prince in 1811. He had been hired by 2 bookmaker brothers named Bland. Landlady Mrs Tilbrook was snooping through Dawson's belongings and discovered the poison and informed the law.
When Harriett Moody, her brothers being bankrupt, was finally forced to sell her brewery (site now of New Astley Club) to Greene King in 1896, together with the Star (now Pizza Express); Grosvenor Arms (now The Yard); Woolpack (opposite the Bushel in Drapery Row); Chequers, Gazeley; Five Bells, Burwell; Kings Head, Moulton; Red Lion, Cheveley; Royal Oak, Dullingham (now private house); Royal Oak, Swaffham Bulbeck and the blacksmiths shop in Swaffham Bulbeck. All this for a total of 22,500
At one time the stable block was orientated towards the east, and the coaching entrance was through the arch further along, presently the entrance to the Chinese take away. There was access from the corner of the garden to Foley House grounds. It is believed they were reversed during the Great War in 1916, the year in which Greene King spent 1,159. 10s. 7d on re-building works, a considerable sum at the time, but unfortunately details of the works were not kept.
In 1970 further extensive works were carried out to incorporate several smaller rooms into one larger L shaped public bar, and inside toilets built.
In 1977 the garden was purchased from the owners of the Chinese take away and access made from the rear yard.
In 1990 the private lounge was incorporated into the bar and the kitchen altered for public catering *

Newmarket pub history index

Five Bells, St Marys Square, Newmarket, Cambridgeshire - in 1905

Five Bells, St Marys Square, Newmarket, Cambridgeshire - in 1905

Kindly provided by Tony Pringle

Five Bells, St Marys Square, Newmarket, Cambridgeshire - Sid Welch, Landlord on the right, in 1953

Five Bells, St Marys Square, Newmarket, Cambridgeshire - Sid Welch, Landlord on the right, in 1953

Kindly provided by Tony Pringle

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Cambridgeshire . The Cambridgeshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The census entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

The first known licensee was Thomas Symonds in 1727. *

In 1767 the licensee was John Griffith, his wife becoming the licensee by 1793; and their son John Griffith by 1804. *

On 1st September 1805 :
"At the Five Bells in Newmarket on the 10th day of September 1805 precisely at four o'clock in the afternoon, in the following lots:
A Lot 1. l that messuage, tenement, or public house, situate upon Mill Hill, called the Five Bells, in the occupation of John Griffith; a messuage or tenement adjoining, occupied by Wm. Cross, and two tenements in possession of Mrs Griffith and Mrs Wormwell, with the yards, gardens outhouses and a piece of land adjoining, called the Nursery, subject to the estate for life of Sarah Griffith.
There were also four tenements adjoining (as Lot 2) but is it not clear if they constituted part of the Five Bells. It does however confirm the existence of dwellings in the Five Bells yard at that time and four families were living in them in the census, therefore at least in 1841

In 1807, the owners were John Thacker, Brewers of Bury; and the premises was leased to George Fielding until 1813. *

In 1808, the owners were Messrs Steward Brewers; followed by Robert Braddock Brewers in 1811; with Jonathan Tilbrook as licensee. *

In 1813, the owners were Henry Braddock Brewers; and John Yardley is mentioned as tenant 1813-1828 *

In 1820, the owners were Tyrell Moody Brewers Newmarket. *

In 1830, the owners were Charles Frederick Moody and James Webb; with just Charles Frederick Moody in 1832 when the licensee was Jonathan Tilbrook as noted in the Pigots directory *

In 1839, the owners were Charles Frederick Moody when the licensee was Robert Hassall as noted in the Pigots and Robsons directories *

In April 1832, Robert Moody Hassall and Frances Osborne are married by Banns at St Marylebone, Middlesex

1841/Robert Moody Hassell/Publican/35/Cambridgeshire/Census
1841/Frances Moody Hassell/../36/Cambridgeshire/Census
1841/Julia Moody Hassell/../8/Cambridgeshire/Census
1841/Walter Moody Hassell/../6/Cambridgeshire/Census
1841/Fanny Moody Hassell/../4/Cambridgeshire/Census
1841/Robert Moody Hassell/../2/Cambridgeshire/Census
1841/Alfred Moody Hassell/../1/Cambridgeshire/Census
1841/Lydia Moody Hassell/Female Servant/17/Cambridgeshire/Census
1841/Charlotte Gunn/Female Servant/16/Cambridgeshire/Census
1841/John Tompsett/Linen Draper/34/../Census

By 1844, the owner was Harriet Moody, sister of Charles Frederick Moody, when the licensee was still Robert Hassall, as he was in 1851 according to Gardners directory. *

Between at least 1861 and 1891, the same Harriet Moody continues as owner, with licensees Francis Park in the 1861 census. *

1861/Francis Park/Victualler/50/St Germans, Norfolk/Census
1861/Sarah Ann Park/Wife/30/Fleggborough, Norfolk/Census
1861/Eliza Farthing/House Servant/16/Exning, Suffolk/Census
1861/Joseph Bishop/Boarder/25/Fordham, Cambridgeshire/Census
1861/Henry Peat/Lodger/52/../Census

From 1868 until the 1871 census, Samuel Pilbrow is noted as the licensee *

1869/Samuel Banham Pilbrow/../../../Post Office Directory

From 1873 until the 1881 census, Jeremiah Rosbrook is the licensee *

1879/George J Rosbrook/../../../Kellys Directory

1881/Jeremiah G Rosbrook/Inn Keeper/55/Barrow, Suffolk/Census
1881/Charlotte Rosbrook/Wife/54/London/Census
1881/Georgana Rosbrook/Niece/28/Barrow, Suffolk/Census
1881/Tom Thornton/Nephew/21/London/Census
1881/Jessie Deeks/Visitor/12/Newmarket, Cambridgeshire/Census
1881/Jane Plummer/Servant/17/Newmarket, Cambridgeshire/Census
1881/Elizabeth Carter/Servant/22/Newmarket, Cambridgeshire/Census
1881/William Harvey/Servant/51/Isleham, Cambridgeshire/Census

1883/George Martin/../../../Kellys Directory

From 1883 until the 1891 census, George Martin is the licensee *

1891/George Martin/Inn Keeper, Widow/43/Market Weston, Suffolk/Census
1891/Minnie Martin/Daughter/19/Dullingham, Cambridgeshire/Census
1891/Ada Martin/Daughter/16/Dullingham, Cambridgeshire/Census
1891/George Martin/Son/10/Dullingham, Cambridgeshire/Census
1891/Alfred Stigwood/Ostler Groom/22/Ashley, Cambridgeshire/Census
1891/Mildred Warren/General Servant/17/Burwell, Cambridgeshire/Census
1891/Arthur Tweed/House Boy/16/Ashley, Cambridgeshire/Census

1892/George Martin/../../../Kellys Directory

1896/George Martin/../../../Kellys Directory

In 1896, Greene King (Bury brewers) become the new owners; when George Smart is the licensee until at least the 1911 census. *

1901/George Smart/Publican/45/Tame, Oxfordshire/Census
1901/Sophia Smart/Wife/40/Fordham, Cambridgeshire/Census
1901/Blanche Smart/Daughter, Barmaid/18/Newmarket, Suffolk/Census
1901/Lancelot Forster/Stableman Groom/35/Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland/Census
1901/Isabella Forster/Barmaid/26/Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland/Census
1901/Matthew Stanley/Ostler Groom/21/Ilkeston, Derbyshire/Census
1901/Florence Wheatcross/Cook/19/Derby, Derbyshire/Census

1904/George Smart/../../../Kellys Directory

1911/George Smart/Publican/55/Tame, Oxfordshire/Census
1911/Sophia Smart/Wife/50/Fordham, Cambridgeshire/Census
1911/Florence Violet Smart/Daughter/22/Newmarket, Cambridgeshire/Census
1911/Emma Elizabeth Blythe/Niece, Barmaid/19/Fordham, Cambridgeshire/Census
1911/Olive Munns/Servant/25/Exning, Cambridgeshire/Census
1911/Lancelot Forster/Stableman/47/Newcastle upon Tyne/Census
1911/Gertrude Emma Pitman/Nurse/30/Stoke, Somerset/Census

From at least 1916, Greene King & Sons Ltd are the owners until the next century; when the manager is William James Green in 1916 *

1916/William James Green/../../../Kellys Directory

From 1925 to 1931, the manager is Willie Faiers *

My old drum, the Five Bells, St Mary's Square Newmarket ( grandfather Sidney Welch took it on in 1931, I followed him in 1968 and left in
1991) has been sold and is to become an Islamic Community Centre. *

On 11th February 1931, the manager is Sidney Howard Welch; he latterly becomes a tenant in the 1960s, until 1968. *

On 9th May 1968, the new tenant is Anthony Howard Pringle (grandson of Sidney Howard Welch, the previous tenant). *

On 9th May 1991, Greene King & Sons Ltd leased the property to Robert Stephen Jack; and in November 2005, Robert Stephen Jack took over the ownership and tenancy of the property. *

The Five Bells was sold by Greene King to Admiral Taverns in about 2010; and in October of that year Mrs Helen Jane Greenberry and Ms Emma Anstee Greenberry were licensees. *

Then in October 2014, the Five Bells closed, while the owners tried to find a new tenant. It re-opened seemingly on a part-time basis, but was eventually put on the market. *

In 2018, the Five Bells sold for 375,000, with change of use to an Islamic Community Centre. *

* Provided By Tony Pringle

And Last updated on: Sunday, 29-Mar-2020 00:32:51 GMT