Search London wiki and Pub wiki history sites

History of Dagenham in 1902 Kellys Directory

History of Dagenham

Dagenham & Becontree Heath 1902

Dagenham is a parish and village, bounded by the Thames, the Rom (or Bourne brook), and the Ingerbury brook,  with a station on a loop line of the London, Tilbury and Southend railway,  3 miles south west from Romford, 2 ½  south east from Ilford and 12 from Whitechapel church,  in the Southern division of the county, Becontree hundred and petty sessional division, Romford union and county court district, Metropolitan police jurisdiction, rural deanery of Chafford, archdeaconry of Essex, and diocese of  St Albans. The church of SS Peter and Paul is an ancient edifice of Kentish ragstone and brick in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, north aisle, north porch and an embattled tower on the north side,  with a slated spire, and containing a clock and 6 bells, dated 1768; the chancel and aisle date from the 11th century: the nave was rebuilt in 1800: there is a fine old tomb with brasses to Sir Thomas Urswyk kt, appointed common serjeant of the city of London, and subsequently in 1455, made recorder; he also represented the city in Parliament in 1461 and 1467, and was chief baron of the Exchequer from 1471 to 1479, in which year he died: the brass also commemorates  his wife, 4 sons and 9 daughters; there is also a marble monument with effigies to Sir Richard Alibon kt, a justice of the King's Bench from 1687 in the reign of James II, ob 22 Aug, 1688: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev T L Fanshawe, of Parsloes and there are two other memorial windows to Messrs George Currie and George Stevens:  in 1878 the church was thoroughly restored, the floor lowered and the interior reseated; during the course of the work an ancient piscina and a cross-marked altar slab were discovered; two helmets and fragments of other armour also remain: the church affords 700 sittings.

The register dates from the year 1546. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £481, with 8 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Stevenson Stewart Moore esq, barrister at law, and held since 1876 by  the Rev John James Stevenson Moore LLD of Trinity College, Dublin. The vicarage house, close to the church, was built in 1665. There is a Wesleyan chapel in Dagenham village  and Wesleyan Reform chapel, and Congregational chapel at Mark’s Gate. A cemetery of 2 ½ acres was formed in 1864, at a cost of £800, but there is no mortuary chapel. The Small Pox Hospital was built by the West ham Corporation at a cost of £80,000, on the outskirts of the village, one mile distant.

Uphill's charity of £150 yearly, left by Jacob Uphill of Dagenham, standard bearer to William and mary, Queen Anne and George I, who died Feb 26, 1717, at 59, formerly expended in clothing children, and in gratuities to them, is now administered under a trust; other charities, including a bread charity left by John White, gent, who died February 2, 1673, are distributed yearly. Ford’s charity consists of £1,000 in Three per cent; the dividends are expended by the trustees in the purchase of blankets and flannel for distribution to poor old men and women of the parish who are over 60 years of age.

Dagenham has much marsh land, and on December 17th, 1707, a very high tide blew up the sluice, broke through the dyke, flooded 1,000 acres and swept 160 acres into the river; after much difficulty, and a lapse of fifteen years, the breach was stopped by the famous Captain Perry, at a cost of £40,000. To the left of the road leading to Dagenham reach is Dagenham gulf, a lake formed by a portion of the unreclaimed land 40 acres in extant; being well stocked with fish it is much frequented by anglers.

Sir Edward Hulse, bart, of Breamore, Salisbury, who  is lord of the manor, the Crown, the Marquess of Salisbury KG, PC, DCL, the Dean and Canons of Windsor, Mr Samuel Williams and Joshua pedley esq, of Trafalgar House, Tottenham, are the principal landowners. The soil is shingly; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, potatoes and market garden produce.. The area is 6,489 acres, 67 of water; 148 of tidal water and 13 of foreshore; rateable value £33,272; and the population in 1891 was 4,324.

Becontree Heath is a large hamlet of this parish, 2 ½  miles north, and 1 ½ miles south east from Chadwell Station on the Great Eastern railway; it gives its name to the hundred and to a petty sessional division; meetings held at Stratford.

Parish clerk and Sexton, James Walter Palmer

Post & Money Order & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank Annuity, Insurance & Express Delivery Office – Mrs Elizabeth Howgego, postmistress. Letters through Romford, arrive at 7 am & 4 pm; dispatched at 10.55 am, 6.55 & 9.30 pm. Sunday delivery commences at 7.35 am & dispatched at 8.30 pm.

Wall Letter Boxes – Ripple Road, cleared 10.30 am & 6.20 pm; & Station, cleared 11 am & 7 pm

Post Office, Becontree Heath – William Bentley, sub-postmaster, Letters via Romford, arrive at 7.0 am & 3.15 pm; dispatched at 11.20 am & 7.20 pm. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid . The nearest money order office & telegraph office are at Chadwell.. Pillar Box, Marks Gate, cleared at 7.15 am & 3.15 pm.

County Magistrates for Becontree Petty Sessional Division

Johnston Andrew esq, DL, Forest Lodge, Woodford Green, chairman
Howard Eliot esq, DL, Ardmore, Buckhurst Hill SO, vice chairman

Baker George esq, FRGS, Marryatt’s Lodge, Forest, Snaresbrook NE
Beal Edmund John esq, The Elms, Aldborough Road, Ilford
Buxton Edward North esq, DL, Knighton House, Buckhurst Hill SO
Carter Henry John esq, 8 Inverness terrace, London W
Chapman mark esq, Llanarth, Bushwood, Leytonstone NE
Chew Geo esq, Oakhurst, Cambridge Park, Wanstead NE
Compton John Charles esq, Bromhill house, Chigwell
Curwen Spedding esq, Bywell, High Road, South Woodford NE
East Joseph Thomas esq, Fernside, Holly Bush Hill, Snaresbrook
Fortescue Nathaniel esq, Laurel Bank, The Drive, Walthamstow NE
Garrett Lieut-Col Edmund VD, Belmont, Chigwell, Chigwell Row
Glenny William Wallace esq, Cecil House, barking
Goodman Charles esq, West End Farm, East Ham E

Green Fredk esq, Hainault lodge, Chigwell Row, Woddford Green
Griggs William P esq, 7 The Drive, Cranbrook Park, Ilford
Harrison Arthur Lister esq, Elmhurst, South Woodford
Kemsley Walter John esq, Ivy Lodge, The Green, Woodford Green
Lister Arthur esq, Sycamore House, 871 High Road, Leytonstone NE
Mallinson Wm esq, The Limes, 208 Shernall Street, Walthamstow
Poulter Major Thomas James, Assembly House, Forest Place, Leytonstone NE
Powell Nathl esq, DL, Luctons, Buckhurst Hill SO
Robinson Thomas george esq, Brancepath, Whitehall Road, Woodford Green NE
Savill Philip esq, Woodlands, Chigwell Row SO
Ward Richard esq, Hyde, High Road, Leyton NE
Whittingham Walter Basden esq, Frinton on Sea SO
Williams Wm Varco esq, Langtons, Hornchurch, Romford

 

The Chairmen for the time being, of the Barking, East Ham, Chingford, Leyton, Walthamstow, Wanstead & Woodford Urban & Romford Rural District Councils, are ex-officio magistrates

Clerk to the Magistrates, W J  Attwater, Court house, Great Eastern Road, Stratford E

Petty Sessions are held at the Court house, Stratford, daily at 9.30 am except sat at 11 am

The following places are included in the petty sessional division:- Barking, Canhall, Dagenham, East Ham, Ilford, Little Ilford, Leyton, Walthamstow & Woodford

Schools:-

A School board of 7 members was formed 7th December, 1874; William Smith, North Street, Romford, clerk to the board; John William Freshwater, Chadwell Heath & Herbert Pritchard, attendance officers.

Board (boys, girls & infants), Becontree Heath, built about 1877 & enlarged 1893, for 400 children; average attendance, 250; George William Patmore, master; Mrs Harriet Patmore, mistress; Miss Bailey, infants mistress

Board  (infants), built in 1895 & since enlarged, for 270 children; average attendance 220; Mrs Sarah Howes, mistress

Ford's Endowed, founded in 1828 by William Ford, of Dagenham; the buildings include a master's residence & will hold 120 boys & as many girls; John Doubleday, master; Mrs Emma Doubleday, mistress ; Ford’s Endowed, Whalebone lane, Chadwell Heath, is a branch school connected with this charity, built in 1857 & available for 100 children; these schools have an annual endowment of £300, arising from money left for educational purposes by William Ford, who died March 6th, 1756; Thomas Aldous, master; Mrs Aldous, mistress

Metropolitan Police station, Robert Jobson, station sergeant, 2 section sergeants, 1 acting-sergeant  & 11 constables

Railway Station, Edward Foreman, station master

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 18-Sep-2019 10:39:31 BST