Submitted and Transcribed by Essex Villages
ALPHAMSTONE, a small village on an eminence overlooking the vale of the Stour, 5 miles N.E. by E. of Halstead, has in its parish 341 souls, and 1531a. of land. It has a fair, for pleasure and pedlery, on the 1st Thursday in June. Sir R. T. D. Neave, Bart., is lord of the manor, and owner of Clees Hall, a neat mansion occupied by E. Kemp Esq.; but Boxted Hall belongs to Jno. Start, Esq.; and Mrs. E Kemp, the Rev. R. B. Harvey, and several smaller owners, have estates here.
The Church is a small ancient structure, of flint, with a tower, short spire, and three bells.
The Rectory, valued in K.B. at £11, and in 1831 at £407, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Hy. Hodges, M.A., who has 28a of glebe, and a neat residence, in the Elizabethan style, built about eight years ago. The tithes were commuted in 1848, for £440 per annum.
For distribution at Christmas, the poor parishioners have the rents of two cottages and 2½a. of land, given by Thos. Clayton, in 1560, and now let for £8. 8s. per annum. They have also 20s. yearly out of Twinstead Hall estate, pursuant of the bequest of Isaac Wincoll, who , in 1681, also charged the same estate with the payment of £1 each to the four parishes of Twinstead, Great Henny, Pebmarsh, and Lamarsh, for the poor.
Brown John Usher, brick & tile mkr
Cant Danl. & George, carpenters
Dixey John, wheelwright
Duffield Rev. Roger Dawson, M.A., chaplain to Duke of Cambridge, & curate of Lamarsh
Evans Allen, shoemaker
Hodges Rev. Henry, M.A., Rectory
Kemp Edw. Esq., Clees Hall
Messent Chas. Blacksmith & farrier
Norton Wm. Edw. Tailor
Nott Saml. victualler, Windmill
Pung George, corn miller
Silvester Wm. parish clerk
Toakley Chas. shopkeeper & carter
Buttle Thos. (and maltster)
Collins Charles, Kings Farm
Nott Samuel, Lee Moat
Podd Daniel II Podd John
Stuck John (& maltster) Stapleford
Letters from Sudbury.