The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
BIRCH, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; 3 and ½ miles SE of Marks-Tey r. station, and 5 SW of Colchester. It comprises two ancient parishes, Great Birch and Little Birch; and has a post-office under Colchester. Acres, 3,069. Real property, £4,318. Pop., 940. Houses, 189. The property is divided among a few. Birch Hall is the seat of C.G. Round Esq. There are remains of a small castle. The living is a double rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £469. Patron, alternately the Bishop of Rochester and C.G. Round, Esq. The church of Great Birch is good; and that of Little Birch is in ruins.
Transcribed by Noel Clark