Pigot's Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory
BRENTWOOD, once a market town, is a chapelry, in the parish of South Weald, and hundred of Chafford; situated on the main Essex road, between Romford and Chelmsford; distant six miles from the former, 11 from the latter, and 18 from London. It consists of one street, about a quarter of a mile in length, the buildings of which are mostly irregular. The ruined remains of the town-hall and prison, which stand in the High-street, are now occupied by individuals in trade, subject to a covenant to repair them, should assizes ever be again held here, as they formerly were, It is a place of great thoroughfare, and several good Inns are supported from the circumstance; the 'Lion and Lamb' is an excellent house. The surrounding country is highly cultivated, and the families of consequence and respectabilitiy that reside in the neighbourhood are many.
The church is a very ancient building, with a spire, supposed to have been erected about 1221; the Rev. William Newbold is the present minister. Here is a free grammar-school, founded by Sir Anthony Brown in 1537; the Rev. Charles Bell is master. There are two cattle-fairs held here, viz. On the 18th July, and 15th & 16th October. The number of inhabitants in Brentwood, according to the late official returns, was - in 1801, 1,007 - in 1811, 1,238 - in 1821, 1,423 - and in 1831, 1,642; being an increase in the population of 635 persons, in thirty years.
SOUTH WEALD is a parish and village, situated about a mile out of the main road, between Romford and Brentwood; distant five miles from the former, and two from the latter place. It contains the residences of many opulent families; and among these is 'Weald Hall,' celebrated for being the birth-place of Queen Mary. Nature has been liberal in dispensing her favours around here; and the residents have managed their operations with such taste, as to produce of the the most beautiful and picturesque retreats in the county; the gardens, the extensive pleasure grounds and grand scenery, are objects wich cannot fail to attract notice, and give delight. The church is an ancient building, with a tower and five bells, containing some handsome monuments; the Rev. Charles Belli is the rector. The parish is extensive, containing about 6,000 acres, and by the last government census of 1831 (including Brentwood,) 2,825 inhabitants.
SHENFIELD is a small village and parish, in Barstable hundred, about one mile from Brentwood. - The parish church is a neat building, with a lofty spire, which may be seen from a considerable distance. The number of inhabitants is about 666.
INGRAVE is a small parish, distant about two miles from Brentwood. The houses are generally well built, and the suburbs are adorned with many elegant villas. The church is a handsome brick building, with a tower; the living is a rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Newman. The population has decreased within the last ten years; the number being, in 1821, 427 - and at the last census 402 inhabitants.
EAST HORNDEN is three miles from Brentwood, and contains the residence of Lord Petre: the house, which is in the best style of architecture, and fitted up with superior elegance and taste, is seated on a eminence, commanding prospects as rich and varied as can well be imagined, over a country highly cultivated. The church is very ancient, and is considered well worth the notice of the inquisitive traveller. The number of inhabitants has also decreased here in the last ten years; being, in 1821, 459 - and in 1831, 438.
GREAT WARLEY is a straggling village, about two miles in length; about that distance from Brentwood, and six from Romford. The church is an ancient brick building, with a spire and two bells. There are barracks for soldiers here, at present not occupied. The number of inhabitants, in 1821, was 520; and in 1831 that number had decreased to 424.
LITTLE WARLEY is an inconsiderable village, about one mile from Great Warley. The only object worthy of notice is 'Warley Lodge,' which is situated on a rising ground, and is agreeable wooded. The church is a plain building, and stands at some distance from the village. In 1821, the population was 179; which number was reduced, in 1831, to 163.
POST OFFICE, BRENTWOOD, Maria Tylor, Post Mistress. - Letters from LONDON arrive (by the NORWICH mail) every evening at half-past ten, and are despatched every morning at half-past four. - Box opens every morning at eight, and closes every evening at nine; but letters can be received till ten by paying one penny, and till eleven by the payment of sixpence.
To LONDON, the Telegraph, every morning at eight, Sunday excepted, when it goes at half-past three; the Blue (from Ipswich), every afternoon, the Southend (from Southend), every morning at nine; and the Times (from Norwich), every evening at six, all call at the Lion and Lamb - the Little Chelmsford (from Chelmford), calls at the Swan, every morning at half-past nine, and the Old Bury (from Bury St. Edmunds), every afternoon at four; and go through Romford and Ilford.
To BURY ST. EDMUNDS, the Old Bury (from London), calls at the Swan, every morning at eleven; goes through Chelmsford and Sudbury.
To CHELMSFORD, the Little Chelmsford (from London), calls at the Swan, every evening at half-past six.
To IPSWICH, the Blue (from London), calls at the Lion & Lamb, every morning at ten; goes through Chelmsford.
To NORWICH, the Times (from London), calls at the Lion and Lamb, every morning at nine; goes thro' Chelmsford, Sudbury & Bury St. Edmunds.
To SOUTHEND, the Southend (from London), calls at the Lion and Lamb, every evening at a quarter-before five.
To LONDON, Maling's Spring Vans, from the Lion & Lamb, every Tuesday and Friday evening; go through Romford and Ilford.
In addition to the above, Coaches & Carriers are continually passing through Brentwood to and from London, and most parts of Norfolk and Suffolk
Transcribed by CG
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
BRENTWOOD, a small town, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Billericay district, Essex. The town stands adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, near Watling-street, 5 and 3/4 miles NE by N of Romford. Its name is a corruption of Burnt-Wood; and was derived from the burning, long ago, of a circumjacent forest. Some Roman antiquities have been found in it. The town was, at one time, a seat of assizes; and has of late been extended and improved. The town-hall was built in 1864, and is in the Italianate style, with Corinthian portico. The county lunatic asylum is an edifice in the Tudor style. The grammar school was founded in 1557, by Sir Anthony Browne; and has an endowed income of £1,532. The old church is early English; was built in 1221; and is now used for a national school. The new church is a Gothic structure, with a handsome square tower; and was buit in 1835. The Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1861; is formed of Kentish rag, with Bath stone facings; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower and spire 110 feet high; and was a gift of Lord Petre, whose seat near Ingrave is about 2 miles to the S. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans. The town has a head post-office, a railway-station with telegraph, a banking-office, and two chief inns; and is a seat of petty sessions. The weekly market has ceased; but fairs are held on 18 July and 15 Oct. Pop., 2,811. Houses, 532. The chapelry includes the town; and is in South Weald parish. Acres 730. Real property, £9,610. Pop., 3,093. Houses, 533. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £124. Patron, C.T. Tower, Esq.
HORNDON (EAST), or EAST THORNDON, a parish in Billericay district, Essex; 3 miles SSE of Brentwood r. station, and 4 SW of Billericay. Post-town, Brentwood. Acres, 1,477. Real property, £4,412. Pop., 475. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. Fowchers-Heron manor belongs to George E. Lowndes, Esq.; and another manor, partly within the parish, belongs to Lord Petre. Remains exist of Heron Hall, an ancient seat of the Tyrrells. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £340. Patron, the Rev. John Pearson. The church is a brick building, ancient but good; and has a Norman font. There is a national school.
HORNDON (WEST), or WEST HORNDON, a parish in Billericay district, Essex; 2 miles SE of Brentwood r. station. Post-town, Brentwood. Acres, 470. Real property, £653. Pop., 94. Houses, 12. Thorndon Park here, was formerly the seat of Lord Petre; and has some good portraits and a Roman Catholic chapel. The living is a rectory united with the rectory of Ingrave, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £347. Patron, Lord Petre. The church is a brick edifice of 1734, with a tower; and has a brass of 1400.
INGRAVE, a village and a parish in Billericay district, Essex. The village stands near Thornton Park, 2¼ miles SE of Brentwood r. station; and is a pleasant place. The parish comprises 1,792 acres. Post-town, Brentwood. Real property, £1,583. Pop., 516. Houses, 118. The manor belongs to Lord Petre. The parish is a meet for the South Essex hounds. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of West Horndon, in the diocese of Rochester. The church was built in 1734; is a red brick structure, with a tower; and was recently in disrepair. There are Roman Catholic schools, and charities £6."
Transcribed by Noel Clark
Who notes: "The gazetteer appears to contain a misprint in Horndon (East). The number of houses in the chapelry (which includes the town) is only one more than the town, yet the population is greater by 282. My guess is that the number of houses in the chapelry should be 583 not 533."