White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Essex - 1848
Submitted and Transcribed by Essex Villages
BULMER, a pleasant village, on an eminence, 2 miles W.S.W. of Sudbury, has in its parish 775 souls and 2705 acres of land, including the small village of Bulmer Tye, on the high road, more than a mile south of the church, and several scattered farm houses, &c. A small pleasure fair is held at the Tye on Holy Thursday.
Earl Howe is lord of the principal manors, and owner of a great part of the soil; but Robt. Preston, Esq., is lord of the small manor of Goldingham Hall; and J.H.Powell, Esq., is lord of the manor of Smeeton, or Smeetham Hall. Caledon Dupr� Alexander, Esq., has a large and handsome seat called Auberies, on the commanding eminence, about half a mile east of the church, built on the site of an ancient mansion, about 40 years ago, by the late Lady Aubery. The front has an elegant portico, with four fluted pillars, and the house is encompassed by a beautiful and well-wooded park and extensive gardens. The late C.Greenwood, Esq., purchased this seat, and left it in 1831 to C Hammersley, Esq., who sold it to Colonel Meyrick.
The Church (St. Andrew,) is a plain antique fabric, with an ivy-mantled tower, containing three bells. It had a chantry, and was appropriated to Brusyard Abbey.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at �8, and in 1831 at �445, with that of Belchamp-Walter annexed to it, is in the patronage of S.M. Raymond, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Oliver Raymond, LL.B., of Middleton, who has here 2a. of glebe, but no parsonage house. The tithes were commuted in 1844, the vicarial for �330, and the rectorial for �500 per annum. The latter belong to Capt. Byles. A school has recently been built here by Mrs. Alexander, and is supported by her.
Alexander Caledon Dupr�, Esq., Auberies
Allen James, baker & shopkpr. Tye
Andrews Rev. Wm. N., M.A. curate
Badham David, Esquire
Chinery Philip, baker, &c. Tye
Clover John Lee, corn miller
Coote Mark, carpenter
Daniels Wm. wheelwright
Darby Wm. beerhouse, Tye
Deal Isaac, shopkeeper & thatcher
Dixey Wm. shoemaker
Emeney James, shoemaker
English George, brick & tile maker
Fergusson Jas. Farm steward. Auberies
Firman Peter, blacksmith, Tye
McNab Thomas, carpenter
Mayes Abraham, vict. Blackbirds
Parssons Wm., vict. Plough, Tye
Pryke Robert, blacksmith
Pung Thos. gent. ll Giraud Charles
Upson Mary Ann, schoolmistress
Vickery Edward, gardener
Bird Wm. ll Hasell Wm.
Brewster George, Nether Hall
Bridge Joseph, Butlers Hall
Browning Edward, Bulmer Kitching
Firmin John, Goldingham Hall
Spooner Robert, Smeetham Hall
Underwood Amos Tiffen, Tye Corner
Viall John, Clapt�s Farm
[Letters from Sudbury.]
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
BULMER, a parish and a sub-district in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex. The parish lies on the verge of the county, near the river Stour and the Sudbury railway, 2 miles WSW of Sudbury; and has a post-office under Sudbury. Acres, 2,779. Real property, £6,251. Pop., 758. Houses, 170. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Belchamp-Walter, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £445. Patron, S.M. Raymond, Esq. The church is good.
Transcribed by Noel Clark