All public house, restaurants, bars etc closed for the forseeable future from 20th March 2020, but this is a history site.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
BURES, a hamlet and a sub-district in the district of Sudbury. The hamlet is in the Essex part of Bures-St. Mary parish; lies on the river Stour, adjacent to the Sudbury railway, 5 miles SSE of Sudbury; and has a stationon the railway, a post-office under Colchester, and a fair on HolyThursday. Acres, 1,480. Real property, £3,020. Pop., 623. Houses, 140.
Transcribed by Noel Clark
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF ESSEX 1933
BURES HAMLET is a suburb of and in the parish of Bures St. Mary, Suffolk, from which it is separated by the navigable river Stour, on the road from Sudbury to Colchester, with a station on the London and North Eastern railway, 5½ miles south from Sudbury, 8 north east from Halstead and 53½ from London, in the Saffron Walden division of the county, Hinckford hundred, South Hinckford petty sessional division (Halstead branch), Belchamp rural district, Sudbury county court district, and in the rural deanery and archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich. The village is lighted with gas from works, the property of the Consumers Gas and Coke Co. Ltd. Malting is carried on here. Mrs. Reginald D. Hill, who is lady of the manor, John Garrad esq. and Ernest Samuel Ewer esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is a rich loam and clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area of the civil parish of Bures Hamlet, which is wholly situate in the administrative county of Essex, is 1,838 acres of land and 8 of water; the population in 1931 was 418.
By Local Government Board Order 16,461, March 25, 1885, Polsteads Farm, Fish Pits and Rye Fens were transferred from Lamarsh to Bures Hamlet, and by Order 16,463, March 24, 1884, the Thatchers Arms &c. and some houses in Heards road were added from Bures Hamlet to Mount Bures in Lexden and Winstree rural district.
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office at Bures St. Mary, Suffolk (letters should have Bures, Suffolk, added)
Railway Station (L. & N. E)
Carrier Frank Ollis, to Colchester, tues. fri. & sat. & Sudbury, tues. thurs. & sat