CHIGWELL, CHIGWELL ROW, ABRIDGE AND NEIGHBOURHOODS
Pigot's Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory
CHIGWELL is a village and parish, in the hundred of Ongar, ten miles from London. It is a beautiful and rural little place, ornamented by many elegant residences, and its entire neighbourhood bearing the aspect of high respectability and comfort.
The places of worship are, the parish church, a small neat edifice, and a chapel for independents. The living of Chigwell is a vicarage, in the gift of the Prebendary of St. Pancras. Here is a free grammar-school, founded in 1629, by Samuel Harsnett, Archbishop of Canterbury. There are some fine seats around here, amongst which 'Woolston Hall,' the tasteful residence of Robert Bodle, Esq., is conspicuous. A fair is held here, on the 30th September, for hiring servants. The population of the parish (including Chigwell Row) by the late census, was 1,815.
CHIGWELL ROW is about one mile from the above-mentioned village, and is chiefly remarkable for its beautiful woodland scenery, and the respectability of its neighbourhood. There is a neat methodist chapel here.
ABRIDGE is a village, in the parish of Lambourne, about two miles and a half from Chigwell, and five from Epping. Edward Lockwood Perceval, Esq., is lord of the manor of Lambourne. The living is a rectory, in the presentation of Cambridge college; the Rev. Robert Sutteleffe is the present incumbent. - The principal charity is the endowment of a school in Stapleford Abbot parish, which inlcudes in its benefits 20 children of this parish. The number of inhabitants in this place, accordinging to the census of 1831, was 778.
POST OFFICE, CHIGWELL, Letter Box at John Jas. Hillman's, and CHIGWELL ROW at William Clarke's - Letters from LONDON arrive every morning early, and are despatched (Sundays excepted) every monring at eight, and every afternoon at three. ABRIDGE, Letter Box at William Hedge's. - Letters arrive every morning at half-past eight, and are despatched every evening at a quarter before six.
To LONDON, a coach, from the King's Head, Chigwell, and Maypole, Chigwell Row, every morning at eight, except Sunday, when it goes at six in the morning and evening - and a coach from (Chipping Ongar), calls at the Blue Boar & the White Hart, Abridge, alternately, every morning at nine, and returns every afternoon.
To LONDON, Joseph Baldwin, from his house, Chigwell Row, every Tues. Thurs. & Sat. - and Wm. Homchett, from Abridge, every Tuesday and Friday.
Transcribed by CG
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
ABRIDGE, a village in Lambourne parish, Essex; on the river Roding 5 miles S of Epping. It has a post-office under Romford and a fair on 2 June; and it forms a curacy with the rectory of Lambourne.
CHIGWELL, a village, parish, and a sub-district in Epping district, Essex.. The village stands adjacent to the river Roding, near Epping Forest, 1 and ½ mile ESE of Buckhurst Hill r. station, and 6 SSW of Epping; and has a post-office under London NE, and a fair on 30 Sept. The parish includes also the village of Chigwell-Row. Acres, 4,522. Real property, £15,661. Pop., 2,676. Houses, 474. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church has traces of Norman; is good; and contains brasses of 1540 and 1631. The p. curacies of Buckhurst Hill and Chigwell-Row are separate benifices. A school, founded in 1629 by Archbishop Harsnet, has £340 from endowment; and other charities have £74. Archbishop Harsnet, and Beloe, the translator of Herodotus, were vicars; and Penn, the Quaker, was educated in the school.
CHIGWELL ROW, a village and a chapelry in Chigwell parish, Essex. The village stands on the north side of Hainult forest, 1 and ½ mile E of Chigwell village; is the Cingawella of the Saxons; and has a post-office under Chigwell, London, NE. The chapelry includes the village and was consituted in 1860. Pop., 665. Houses, 165. Mineral waters are here; and the climate is healthy. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop.
Transcribed by Noel Clark