The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
FELSTEAD, a village and parish in Dunmow district, Essex. The village stands near the river Chelmer, and near the Braintree railway, 3 and 12; miles ESE of Dunmow; and has a st. on the railway, and a post-office under Chelmsford. The parish comprises 6,247 acres. Real property, 10,784. Pop., 1,804. Houses, 401. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value 500. Patron, Earl Cowley. The church is partly Saxon, has a tower, and needs restoration. There is an Independent chapel. A free grammar school for boys, natives of Essex, is here; has an income of upwards of 2,000 from funds left by Lord Rich in 1554; and, since a settlement in chancery in 1852, has been under the control of a board of trustees.
HARTFORD END, a hamlet 2 miles S of Felstead, in Essex. It has a post-office under Chelmsford.
Transcribed by Noel Clark
London pub history directory.