KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF ESSEX 1862
GREAT BADDOW is a parish and large village pleasantly situated 29 miles from London and 2 miles south-east of Chelmsford station, on the road to Rochford and Hadleigh, and near the Chelmer navigation. The parish includes a large portion of Galleywood common, where Chelmsford races are held. It is in the hundred and union of Chelmsford, Rochester diocese, Essex archdeaconry, deaconry of Chelmsford, and in the county court district of Chelmsford, contains 3,821 acres, and a population in 1861 of 2,061. The church of St. Mary consists of nave, aisles and chancel, in the Early English style of architecture, with square tower, spire and 8 bells. The living is a vicarage, valued, in 1834, at £460 per annum, in the patronage of and held by the Rev. Abraham W. Bullen, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge; J. A. Houblon, Esq. is the impropriator of the great tithes, which amount to £641 5s. An Independent chapel has been lately erected here. Here are a brewery and corn mills, endowed, Free and National schools. The charities are numerous. The soil loam clay; subsoil, clay and sand; the crops are wheat, barley and oats. J. A. Houblon, Esq., is lord of the manor.
SIR HUGHES is 2 miles south-east; HOWE GREEN, 1 mile south-east. GALLEY WOOD COMMON is 2 miles south-west.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
BADDOW (GREAT), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Chelmsford, Essex. The village stands near the river Chelmer, 2 miles ESE of Chelmsford r. station; has a post-office under Chelmsford; and is a pleasant place with a number of genteel residents. The parish comprises 3,821 acres. Real property, £11,061. Pop., 2,061. Houses, 473. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belomnged to Algar, Earl of Mercia; was given by William the Conqueror to the abbey of Caen in Normandy; passed, in the time of Henry I, to the Earl of Gloucester; and went through a series of proprietors to the family of Houblon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £402. Patron, Rev. A. Bullen. The church formerly had two chantries; and is very good. Parker's school has an endowed income of £169; and other charities have £86. Richard de Badew, the founder of Clare Hall, Cambridge, was a native. The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 14685. Pop., 6,857. Houses, 1,490.
Transcribed by Noel Clark