The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
BROMLEY (GREAT), a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands 3 miles SSE of Ardleigh r. station, and 5 and ½ E of Colchester; has a post-office under Manningtree; and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish comprises 2,956 acres. Real property, £5,504. Pop., 758. Houses, 175. The property is sub-divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £698. Patron, W. Graham, Esq. The church has a brass of 1432, and is good. Charities, £34.
Transcribed by Noel Clark