All public house, restaurants, bars etc closed for the forseeable future from 20th March 2020, but this is a history site.
Pigot's Directory of Essex - 1828 - 9
Submitted by Ian Hunter (Essex Pubs) and Transcribed by Essex Villages
Great Burstead, or Burghstead, is two miles from Billericay; and is only named as being the parish in which that town is placed, and where is situated the parish church; it is a neat building, with a tower and five bells, but contains nothing to compensate the inquirer for his time in viewing the interior. Henry III. gave to the abbey of Stratford Langthorne a charter to hold a market here; but it did not long enjoy the privilege.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
BURSTEAD (GREAT), a parish and a subdistrict in Billericay district, Essex. The parish lies around, and contains, the town of Billericay; which is near the Eastern Counties railway, and has a head post-office. Acres, 3,502. Real property, £8,941. Pop., 2,095. Houses, 398. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £188. Patron, the Rev. E. Evans. The p. curacy of Billericay is a separate benefice. A school has £60 from endowment; and other charities £44.
Transcribed by Noel Clark