The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
CHESTERFORD (GREAT), a village and a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex. The village stands at the verge of the county, on the river Granta, adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, 4 miles NNW of Saffron-Walden; and has a station, of the name of Chesterford, on the railway, and a post-office, of the name of Great Chesterford, under Saffron-Walden. It formerly was a market town; and it still has a fair on 1 July. A Roman station was here; and Roman roads went hence to Chelmsford, Cambridge, and Ixworth. Traces of Roman walls exist; vestiges of a Roman villa and a Roman temple were recently discovered; and many Roman coins, urns, and other relics have been found. The parish comprises 3,030 acres. Real property, £5,082. Pop., 1,027. Houses, 215. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Little Chesterford, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £427. Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church is large and good; had a chantry, founded by W. Howden; and contains two brasses. An endowed school has £41 a-year; and other charities £99.
Transcribed by Noel Clark