The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
OAKLEY (GREAT), a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands 2½ miles W of Ramsey creek, 4 S by E of Wrabness r. station, and 5¾ SW of Harwich; and has a post-office under Harwich, and a fair on 25 April. The parish comprises 3,049 acres. Real property, £5,953. Pop. in 1851, 1,177; in 1861, 1,038. Houses, 229. The property is subdivided. The manor, with Great Oakley Hall, belongs to G. Bull, Esq. Howbridge Hall is the seat of F. Stanford, Esq.; the Lodge, of J. Salmon, Esq.; and Brooklands, of Mrs. Yates. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £875. Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient; and consists of nave and chancel, with bell-chamber. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and two alms-houses.
OAKLEY (LITTLE), a parish in Tendring district, Essex; 1¾ mile NE of Great Oakley, and 2¾ SSW of Dovercourt r. station. Post-town, Harwich. Acres, 1,119; of which 90 are water. Real property, £1,903. Pop., 306. Houses, 66. The property is chiefly divided between two. The manor belongs to Sir C.H. Rowley, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £428. Patron, the Rev. G. Burmester. The church comprise decorated English nave and chancel, and later English tower; and contains a new stone reredos and a new font. There is a national school.
Transcribed by Noel Clark