Search London wiki and Pub wiki history sites

HELION BUMPSTEAD

White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Essex ~ 1848

Submitted and Transcribed by Essex Villages

 

BUMPSTEAD, (HELION) is a large and pleasant village, at the north-western extremity of this Hundred, 3 miles S. W. of Haverhill, and 8 miles E. N. E. of Saffron Waldon.  Its parish contains 906 inhabitants, and 3132 acres of land, bounded on the north by Cambridgeshire and Suffolk, and giving rise to a rivulet which flows eastward, through Steeple Bumpstead, to the Stour.  It contains a large portion of rich meadow and pasture lands, and has many scattered farm-houses.

It is in several manors, of which the following are the names and lords:- Dengie Helions, the Governors of St. Thomas's Hospital; Bumpstead Hall and Steeple Bumpstead, J. Shaw, Esq.; and Olmsted Hall and Horsham Hall, belonging to Queen's College, Cambridge.  The Hamlet of Olmsted Green, includes about 500 acres in Cambridgeshire, and anciently belonged to the Olmsted family, and was formerly considered a hamlet of Castlecamps.  The manor of Dengie Helions was held at the survey by Tihel, or Ti Hellus Brito, one the Britons or Armoricans who served in the rear of the Conqueror's army.  He was the founder of the Helion family, who were long seated here. 

An estate called Bublowes, belongs to the trustees of the late Richard Salway Esq., and was given by Simon de Bublowe, at an early period, to the hospital of St. John, of Jerusalem. 

The Church (St. Andrew,) is a plain stone fabric, consisting of a nave and south aisle, leaded; a small tiled chancel, and a brick tower.  The guild here, dedicated to St. Peter. 

The vicarage, valued in K. B. at £13, and in 1831 at £176, is in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. John Hodgson, M.A., who has a good residence, and 3 acres of glebe.  The tithes were commuted in 1842, the vicarial for

£274. 16s., and the rectorial for £711. 9s. 9d.  The latter belong to the Trustees of the late Richard Salway, Esq., and Wm. Gibson, Esq., of Ongar.  The Church Land comprises 2r. 35p.  Three cottages and a blacksmith's shop have belonged to the poor parishioners from times immemorial.

Andrews Samuel, butcher

Bacon Edith, vict. Marquis of Granby

Betts John, parish clerk

Casbolt James, bricklayer

Cole Mrs Letitia, Hill Cottage

Dare Wm. corn factor, Parsonage

Emson Edmund, corn miller

Green Elizabeth, schoolmistress

Hodgson Rev. John, M. A. vicar

Humphreys Sarah, schoolmistress

Johnson Benjamin, cooper

Lee Adam, basket maker

Marten Wm. grocer, &c

Mizen Charles, beerhouse

Mizen Stephen, blacksmith

Nunn Harriet, schoolmistress

Ruse Thomas, carpenter

Steed Wm. Michael, schoolmaster

Tilbrook Wm. farrier

Willis Sarah, shopkeeper

Wright Abrm. vict. and carpenter, Carpenters Arms

 

Boot & Shoe Mks

Bacon John

Moore Wm.

Wright Robert

 

Farmers

Bacon James

Carter Rebecca

Chapman Daniel

Cole John

Cole Robert

Cole Samuel, Upper House

Emson Daniel Kent, Hall

Lawrence Chas.

Lofts James

Parker Samuel

Pool Robert

Ruffle George, Horsham Hall

Stubbing John, Helions

 

Wheelwrights

Betts David

Betts John

 

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866

BUMPSTEAD-HELION, a parish in the district of Risbridge and county of Essex; on the N verge of the county, and on the Halstead and Haverhill railway, near Birdbrook station, 8 miles NNE of Thaxted. It has a post-office under Newmarket. Acres, 3,191. Real property, £4,210. Pop., 887. Houses, 191. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the East Essex hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £174. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is good.

Transcribed by Noel Clark

 

Post Office Directory of Essex ~ 1871

Submitted and Transcribed by Essex Villages

 

HELION BUMPSTEAD is a village and parish, in the Western division of the county, Risbridge union, Freshwell hundred, county court district of Haverhill, Sampford rural deanery, Colchester archdeaconry, and Rochester diocese, and was known in the time of King Edward the Confessor: it is 3 miles south-west from Haverhill, and 10 north-east from Saffron Waldon, on the borders of Cambridgeshire.

The church of St. Andrew is old; it has a tower containing 5 bells, a nave, south aisle, chancel, and organ and is pleasantly situated.  The register dates from the year 1558.

The living is a vicarage, yearly value £274, with a residence, in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. William Le Mottee, m. a.

There is a National School for boys and girls.

George Shaw, esq., is lord of the manor.  The principal landed proprietors are Queens College, Cambridge, the trustees of St. Thomas's Hospital, London, and the Rev. J. W. Carver, of Finchingfield.

The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans.

The parish contains 3,191 acres, and the population in 1861 was 911; gross estimated rental, £4,914; rateable value, £4,158.

OLMSTEAD GREEN, one-mile southwest, in Cambridgeshire, is a hamlet of Helion Bumpstead.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Ruse

POST OFFICE - William Hughes Marten, postmaster

Letters from Newmarket arrive at 9.20am; dispatched at 4pm

The nearest money order office is at Haverhill

National School, Miss Harriet Doe, mistress

Lawrence Mrs

Le Mottee Rev. William, m. a. [vicar]

 

Commercial

Ambrose Thomas, farmer, Olmstead hall

Bacon John, gardener

Barker Henry, miller

Baynes Thomas, farmer, Moss

Baynes Thurgood, farmer, Olmstead green

Betts John, wheelwright

Casbolt John, beer retailer

Challis Samuel, shopkeeper

Chapman Daniel, farmer, Perry Appleton

Cole Samuel, farmer, Upperhouse

Emson Edmund, higgler

Lee William, basket maker

Lofts James, farmer, Burton villa

Marten Wm. Hughes, grocer & draper

Maylon Lawrence, beer retailer

Middleditch John, farmer and beer retailer

Mizon John, farmer, Olmstead

Mizon Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Mizon Stephen, Three Horseshoes, & blacksmith

Moore William, shoemaker

Olley Frederick, farmer, Helion farm

Pannell Thos. farmer, Bumpstead hall

Parkin Samuel, farmer, Lanceleys

Purkis Jonathan, coal dealer

Ruffle George, farmer, Horsham hall

Ruffle William, farmer, Coppy farm

Ruse John, wheelwright

Ruse Joseph, farmer, Greenhouse

Ruse Thomas, carpenter

Saich Goddard, Marquis of Granby

Steed William Michael, day school

Tilbrook Stephen, shopkeeper

Tilbrook William, veterinary surgeon

Unwin George Jarvis, farmer, Whites

Willis Charles, shopkeeper

Wright George, carpenter & farmer

Wright James, carpenter

 

 

 

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 03-Jul-2019 18:27:25 BST