Pub history, pubwiki and London

HUTTON

KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF ESSEX 1933

HUTTON is a parish on the road from Billericay to Brentwood, about 3 miles east from Brentwood, 2½ west from Billericay station on the Southend branch of the North Eastern railway, and 20 from London, in the Chelmsford division of the county, hundred of Barstable, rural district of Billericay, petty sessional division and county court district of Brentwood, rural deanery of Barstable, archdeaconry of Southend and Chelmsford diocese. The London and North Eastern Railway Company's branch from Shenfield to Billericay and thence via Wickford, Rayleigh and Rochford to Southend, passes through this parish, the junction station being about one mile from the village. The church of All Saints, an edifice of stone in the Early English style, was rebuilt and enlarged in the year 1873, at a cost of £3,000, raised by subscriptions, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire containing 5 bells, repaired in 1900: a new organ was provided in 1885; the font cover was presented in 1892 in memory of Mrs. Hamilton, drowned in the wreck of the Roumania: the reredos, erected in 1898, is a memorial to the late G. J. Baxter esq. of Hutton Park: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1654. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £320, with 19 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St, Paul's, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Piers Leopold Claughton B.A. of Oriel College, Oxford. Here is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1859, with 200 sittings, and a Union chapel, erected in 1914, at a cost of £3,500 to seat 333. There are brick and tile works here, near the station. In this parish are the Poplar training schools, erected in 1906 by the Poplar Board of Guardians, at a cost of £160,000, and taken over by the London County Council in 1930. There are charities amounting to about £45 yearly, arising in part from land left in 1584 by George White esq. and also Martin's and Offin's charities, consisting of money invested in Consols; White's charity is partly devoted to the repair of the church, and a portion of Offin's charity to the schools; the remainder is distributed in bread, clothes and fuel among the poor. Hutton Hall is the property of the London County Council, who are the chief landowners. Henry Ernest Wood esq. J.P. is lord of the manor. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The area is 1,699 acres; the population in 1931 was 2,142.

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office. Letters from Brentwood

Police Station

Conveyance.---Daily service of motor omnibuses to Billericay, Brentwood, Eastwood, Laindon, Little Burstead, London & Southend

 

And Last updated on: And Last updated on: Wednesday, 03-Jul-2019 18:27:27 BST