Pub history, pubwiki and London

KELVEDON AND MESSING

Pigot's Directory of Essex ~ 1828 - 9

Submitted by Ian Hunter (Essex Pubs) and Transcribed by Essex Villages

 

Messing is a small village, about three miles from Kelvedon, five from Coggeshall, and eight from Colchester.  The church is a neat building, with a spire, three bells, and a clock; it is also adorned with a handsome painted window, and contains several monuments of consequence.  The number of inhabitants is 705.

Inworth is the adjoining parish to Messing and Totham; inconsiderable both in its extent and population, and contains nothing that entitles it to marked attention: about 440 is the number of its inhabitants.

Great Totham is a parish and village, distant from Maldon five miles, Coggeshall eight, and Colchester twelve.  The parish is extensive, and contains a deal of barren land, particularly toward Messing, but towards Little Totham and Heybridge it is more productive.  Between here and Braxted is Cock-a-Beaver�s hill, from which is viewed one of the finest prospects in the county.  The church is situated about the centre of the parish, and is an ancient building with a spire; there is besides a national school.  The number of inhabitants is 580.

Little Totham is a parish contiguous to Great Totham and Messing, and is quite unimportant as connected with business or curiosity: it contains an ancient church, with a spire; and the number of inhabitants is about 270.

Gentry and Clergy

Cockerill Rev. Henry, Messing

Gower Rev. Thos. Foot, Great Totham

Griggs John, esq. Magistrate

Johnson Abhm. Esq. Vicarage, Messing

Tyrrell John T. esq. Fitz place, Messing

Wix Rev. Edwd. Jun. Inworth

 

Public Houses

Bull, Josh. Cottee, Great Totham

Compasses, Ths. King, Gt Totham

King�s Head, Wm. Hughes, Tiptree heath

Maypole, G. B. Wiggins, Great Totham

Queen�s Head, G. Mayn, Messing

Ship, Thos. Martin, Inworth

White Horse, Edw. Quy, Little Totham

 

Traders & Shopkeepers

Allaker Geo. maltster, Gt Totham

Archer Wm. grocer & dpr, Messing

Brown Wm. maltster, Inworth

Clift Samuel, miller, Gt Totham

Cooper Jno. Wheelwright, Messing

Coope John, boot & shoe maker, Messing

Crampin Chas. schoolmaster, Inworth

Edwards Thos. brickmaker, Great Totham

Fitch Isaac, florist, Gt Totham

Frost Wm. butcher, Messing

Green Wm. miller, Burrow hill, Great Totham

Hayward Wm. wheelrgt, Inworth

Johnson C. & G. & Co. manufacturing chemists, Great Totham

King Robt. grocer, &c. Messing

Larkin Wm. brickmaker, Gt Totham

Polley Wm. collar mkr, Messing

Rush Hayward, maltster, Messing

Snellock Danl. butcher, Inworth

Whitehead Mark, miller & brick marker, Great Totham

 

 

 

WITH THE VILLAGES OF FEERING, RIVENHALL, INWORTH, GREAT AND LITTLE TOTHAM AND NEIGHBOURHOODS

Pigot's Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory

KELVEDON is a large and respectable village and parish, in the hundred of Witham; 41 miles from London, 10 from Colchester, and three from Coggeshall. It is a place of considerable thoroughfare, being seated on the high road leading to London, Colchester, Chelmsford, Witham, and other towns on the main line of communication between the counties of Middlesex and Suffolk. From this circumstance its prosperity is chiefly derived, and that of the several public houses for the accommodation of travellers; the principal of these are, the 'Star and Fleece,' & 'Angel,' and 'Swan,' all deservedly well-accustomed Inns. Chas. Calis Western, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor; 'Felix Hall,' his residence, about a mile distant, is a beautiful seat, with a large park, surrounded by tasteful plantations.

The church here is a neat building, with a tower and spire; the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of London; the Rev. Charles Dalton is the present vicar. The other places of worship are, a chapel for independents, and a meeting-house for quakers. The charities comprise a small free-school, almshouses for eight poor families, and a poorhouse. A fair is held at Easter, for pleasure and pedlery. - The population of the parish, by the returns for 1831, was 1,463; and the increase in the number of inhabitants, in thirty years, is 469.

MESSING is a small village and parish, about three miles from Kelvedon, in the Witham division of Lexden hundred. The church, which is a neat building, is adorned with a handsome window of stained glass; and there are some monuments in the church worthy of notice. The living is a vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Anderson. The number of inhabitants, by the last census, was 775.

FEERING is a village and parish adjoining Kelvedon; it is more extensive than populous, and is chiefly in the occupation of opulent farmers. The church is a substantial building, with a tower. - The parish contained, by the last census, 735 inhabitants.

RIVENHALL is also a village and parish adjoining Kelvedon, in the same hundred as that place. The parish is about five miles in length, and one in breadth; having a parish church, and a population of 653 inhabitants.

INWORTH is the adjoining parish to Messing, in the same division and hundred. The village contains nothing that entitles it to marked attention. The population of the parish, by the last census, was 443.

GREAT TOTHAM is a parish and village, in Thurstable hundred; five miles from Maldon, and eight from Coggeshall. The parish is extensive, and contains much barren land, particularly towards Messing, but towards Little Totham and Heybridge it is more productive. Between here and Braxted is 'Cock-a-Beaver's Hill,' from which is viewed one of the finest prospects in the county. The church is situate about the centre of the parish, and is an ancient building with a spire; there is, besides, a school on the national system. The number of inhabitants, by the last census, was 696.

LITTLE TOTHAM is a parish contiguous to Great Totham and Messing, and is quite unimportant as connected with business or curiosity. It contains an ancient church with a spire : and the number of inhabitants, by the last returns, was 306.

POST OFFICE, KELVEDON, Ann Crampin, Post Mistress. - Letters from all parts arrive every morning between one and two, and are despatched at same time. - Delivery takes place at seven in the morning in summer, and eight in winter. Office closes at nine at night.

COACHES. To LONDON & COLCHESTER. &c. coaches, to and from these places, pass through Kelvedon several times a day.

CARRIERS. To LONDON & COLCHESTER, Higgleton's and Moore's Carts, call at the several Inns, every Wed. & Sat. - and

To CHELMSFORD, every Tuesday and Friday mornings.

Transcribed by CG

White’s History, Gazetteer & Directory of Essex ~ 1848

Submitted and Transcribed by Essex Villages

INWORTH, a small village on a pleasant eminence, 1½ miles S. E. of Kelvedon, and 10 miles E. S. E. of Colchester, has in its parish 591 inhabitants, and 1555a. 3r. 11p. of land, extending northward to the river Blackwater, near Kelvedon, and including many scattered houses, and a silk mill.

The soil is a strong fertile loam, and is well cultivated, except a small portion at the south end of the parish, adjoining Tiptree Heath.

It has been variously spelt Inneword, Inford, and Innesworth, and is in two manors, which are not mentioned in Domesday Book.

J. H. Blood, Esq., is lord of the manor of Inworth, which was held by Helenstow Nunnery, in Bedfordshire, and afterwards by the Carew, Racket, and other families.  Mr. Joseph Green is owner of the small manor of Chedingswell, which has been held by the Pascal, Rich, Colvill, St. John, and Barnard families.  Thomas Bridges, Esq., and several smaller owners, have free and copyhold estates in the parish.

The Church, (All Saints) is a small ancient fabric, with a wooden turret, erected in lieu of the old steeple, which fell down many years ago.  A small antique porch on the south side is built of Roman bricks and flints.  In the wall near the altar, is an ancient piscina, and within the church are some remains of a Roman tessellated pavement.  The gallery and pews are of modern erection, and the east window has been enriched with stained glass.  A fine Norman arch opens into the chancel, and part of an ancient richly carved screen still remains. 

The rectory, valued in K. B. at £10, and in 1831 at £307, is in the patronage of T. Poynder, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Wix, M. A., who has a house and glebe of 54 acres, let to a farmer.

In 1740, Edward Townsend left for the poor parishioners 1¼a. of land, now let for £2 per annum.

Banham Robt. brick & tile maker

Chaplin Samuel, vict. Ship

Chaplin Wm. vict. Anchor

Chaplin Wm. jun. Builder & brick mkr.

Green Jph. gent. Chedingswell Grange

Hall Jno. Silk throwster (& Coggeshall)

Sach Wm. builder

Siggers Wm. & Hy. Brick & tile mkrs.

Surridge Joseph Smith, auctioneer, &c. Inworth Hall

Way Rev. Wm., B. A. curate; h Tolleshunt

Wix Rev. Saml., M. A. rector; h London

 

Beerhouses

Abbott Wm.

Banham Isaac

Brown Edward

Drain Isaac

Rice James

Whybrow John

 

Blacksmiths

Hutley Henry

Simpson John

 

Farmers

Banham Robert

Birkin Wm.

Brett John, gdnr

Clark Thomas

Clow Wm.

Cock Charles

Dennis Jas. Recty.

Green Joseph

Heard Benjamin

Heard Charles

Hewes Thomas

Rogers Peter

Sach Wm.

Surridge J. S.

Unwin Mary

 

Shoemakers

Austin George

Birkin James

Brown James

 

Shopkeepers

Abbott Wm.

Clark Thomas

Pudney James

 

Wheelwrights

Abbott Wm.

Hayward Thomas

Simpson George

 

Post from Kelvedon, daily

Carrier from Messing to Colchester

 

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866

FEERING, a parish in Witham district, Essex; on the river Blackwater, and on the Eastern Union railway, 2 miles SE of Coggeshall. Post-town, Kelvedon. Acres, 3,230. Real property, 6,201. Pop., 804. Houses, 166. The property is much subdivided. A small extent of the land is under hops. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, 278. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is Tudor, with porch and tower; was recently restored in the interior; and has an antique font, and a finely-carved pulpit.

KELVEDON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Witham district, Essex. The village stands partly on rising ground, on the right bank of the river Blackwater, adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, 3½ miles NE of Witham; is an ancient place; consists chiefly of one street, about a mile in length; is connected by a bridge with Gore-Pits in Feering parish; and has a head post-office, a railway station with telegraph, and a fair on Easter Monday. The parish comprises 3,167 acres. Real property, £7,080. Pop., in 1851, 1,633; in 1861, 1,741. Houses, 350. The manor belonged to Edward the Confessor; and is now divided into two manors, belonging to the Bishop of London and to T.B. Western, Esq. Felix Hall, the seat of Mr. Western, is a modern edifice, in a fine park; and commands a charming view over the valley of the Blackwater. The massacre of the Danes began in Kelvedon; and a silver ring, with Danish initials, has been found. William III. was here in 1691, again in 1692, and slept at an inn in the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church has early English pillars and arches, and a later English nave-roof; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower, and has been considerably improved. There are chapels for Independents and Quakers, a British school, an endowed national school, with £55 a-year, and charities £12.

Transcribed by Noel Clark

 

Man Loaded with Mischief
  • My favourite pub sign
  • Navigation

    And Last updated on: Wednesday, 03-Jul-2019 18:27:28 BST