The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
LATTON, a parish, with a village, in Epping district, Essex; on the river Stort and the Eastern Counties railway, at the boundary with Herts, 1 mile S by E of Burnt-Mill r. station, and 1½ SW of Harlow. Post-town, Harlow. Acres, 1,605. Real property, £3,078. Pop., 196. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. An Augustinian priory was founded here before 1276; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Henry Parker; and has left some remains, in decorated English architecture, now used as a barn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £480. Patron, L. Arkwright, Esq. The church is good, has a tower, and contains three old brasses.
Transcribed by Noel Clark