The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
LAYER-BRETON, a parish, with a village, in Lexden district, Essex; on a branch of the river Roman, 5 miles SE by S of Marks-Tey r. station, and 6 SW by S of Colchester. Post-town, Kelvedon. Acres, 954. Real property, £1,763. Pop., 298. Houses, 62. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £350. Patron, the Rev. W. Blow. The church is tolerable. There are chapels for Independents and Quakers; and the Independent one was rebuilt and enlarged in 1860.
Transcribed by Noel Clark