WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF ESSEX 1848
CANFIELD (LITTLE) is a small parish and village, on the road between Dunmow and Bishop-Stortford, 3 miles W. of the former, and 6 miles E. of the latter town. It contains 258 souls, and 1458A. 2R. 8P. of land, watered by the chief source of the river Roding. Viscount Maynard owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor, which was purchased by one of his ancestors of Sir Wm. Fitche, and was held at the Conquest by Wm. de Warren, Geofrey de Magnaville, and Alberic de Vere. Mr. J. Marsh and several smaller owners have estates. The lands called Hodings were held by the Hoding family, of the Veres, in the 14th century. An estate called Stone Hall was formerly held by the Barentyn, Rampston, Blencoe, Pinchback, and other families. The Church is a small antique structure, which has recently been thoroughly repaired and beautified at the expense of the rector. The south wall of the chancel has been rebuilt; a new east window, enriched with stained glass, has been inserted; the font has been re-carved, and all the ornamental parts of the edifice have been skillfully restored, under the superintendence of Mr. Wm. Ollett, un. The rectory valued in K.B. at £12. 0s. 7 ½ d., and in 1831 at £350, is in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Christ's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. C. L. Smith, M.A., who has 70A. of glebe, and a handsome brick residence, in the Elizabethan style. The tithes were commuted in 1843, for £410 per ann. The poor have 3A. 2R. of land, allotted to them at an enclosure in 1839. Here is a neat school erected by Viscount Maynard in 1842.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
CANFIELD (LITTLE), a parish in Dunmow district, Essex; on the river Roding, and on the Bishop-Stortford, Dunmow and Braintree railway, 3 miles W by S of Dunmow. It has a post-office under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,479. Real property, £2,315. Pop., 314. Houses,74. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £327. Patron, Christ's College, Cambridge. The church is partly ancient, partly a renovation of 1817, partly a reconstruction of 1859; shows Norman, perpendicular and decorated characters in fine blending; has a tower and spire of 1817; and comtains a richly sculptured monument erected by the present rector to the memory of his mother.
Transcribed by Noel Clark
London pub history directory.