The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
MATCHING, a village and a parish in Epping district, Essex. The village stands 3¾ miles E of Harlow r. station, and 8 NE of Epping. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ovesham; and has a post-office, of the name of Matching-Green, under Harlow. Acres, 2,384. Real property, £3,996. Pop., 665. Houses, 140. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Essex hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £160. Patrons, the Trustees of Felstead school, on the nomination of the Bishop of Rochester. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and was recently in disrepair. A chapel once stood in Ovesham. There is a Church school.
Transcribed by Noel Clark