Pub history, pubwiki and London



NAZEING (or Nasing), in Domesday “Nasinga,” is a village and parish, bounded on the west by the river Lee, over which, near the Broxbourne station of the London and North Eastern Railway Co. distant 1½ miles, is a bridge of one arch, connecting the parish with Hertfordshire it is 6 miles north-west from Epping, 5 north-east from Waltham Abbey and 19 from London, in the Epping division of the county, Waltham hundred, Epping rural district and petty sessional divison, Waltham Abbey county court district, rural deanery of Harlow, archdeaconry of Southend and Chelmsford diocese: it was given by King Harold II, to Waltham Abbey. The Church of All Saints is an edifice of brick, flint and rubble in the Early English style, standing on a hill, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch of wood and an embattled western tower of brick dating from the 16th century, and containing 5 bells, all dated 1779: there was formerly a spire, but this was removed in 1899: at the south-east angle of the tower is a hexagonal stair turret, on which is a sundial, dated 1765, and bearing the inscription "Meridies, Solarius, lat. 51d 32III," the rood-loft staircase remains, and the terminals of the rood-loft beams are still embedded in the walls of the nave: the chancel has a memorial window to William Palmer esq. d. 24 April, 1858, and is fitted with choir stalls: in the nave is a memorial window to Henry Crowther, d. 21 Dec. 1852, and there are two other stained windows, mural monuments to the Palmer and Bury families, and various inscribed floor slabs: the carved oak pulpit is a memorial to Mrs. Alice Mary Fane, who died 1 Feb, 1899: the church was restored in 1874 at a cost of £6oo, when a new organ was erected: the restoration was continued in 1891 at a cost of £400, when a new organ chamber and vestry were built and the open timber roof repaired: there are about 250 sittings: a lych gate was erected by public subscription as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with 39 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1933

(Kelly's has this line blank).

The vicarage house has been improved and enlarged. Alfred Manser esq. of Lampits, Hoddesdon, Herts, who died 27 Oct. 1902, bequeathed £300 upon trust for the maintenance of the bells in Nazeing church, and the surplus income, if any, for the ringers. The Congregational chapel and school room were built in 1876, on the site of an older structure, dating from 1816: the chapel affords about 200 sittings. There are golf links of 18 holes, extending over nearly 3 miles of ground on Nazeing Common; there is also a club house. Maj.-Gen. Sir Hereward Wake bart. C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor, in a part of which, called "Upper Town,” the custom of Borough English prevails, by which the youngest son inherits. Nazeing Park is the property and residence of Walter E. Hargreaves esq. the mansion rebuilt c. 1814, stands in a well-wooded park and grounds of 67 acres, facing Nazeing Common, with a tine kitchen garden containing a number of glass houses and choice fruit trees; it is a commodious house, faced with stucco, and has a balustraded balcony, carried on five Ionic columns, and wings with balustraded parapets. St. Leonards House, the residence of Ralph Frederic Bury esq. D.L., J.P. is pleasantly situated in park-like grounds of 43 acres. Harold’s Park, an estate of about 500 acres, belonged to that king, and was given by him to his monastery at Waltham; it lies chiefly in this parish, but partly in Waltham Holy Cross and Epping, and is now occupied by James Gray esq. The Nether Hall estate, partly in this parish, is referred to under Roydon. Ralph Frederic Bury esq. D.L, J.P. Archdale Palmer esq. J.P. and David Pegram esq. are the chief landowners. Nazeing or Nazeing Wood Common consists of 475 acres, over which certain ancient houses in the parish have rights of pasturage. The soil is chiefly heavy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots, and a great quantity of grass land. The area is 3,928 acres of land and 24 of water. About 450 acres of the extensive commons and waste grounds of the parish have been inclosed. The population in 1931 was 1,580. There are hamlets at Nazeing Common, Lower Gate, Middle Street, Greenleaves, and near Nazingbury.

Post, M. O, T. & T. E, D. Office. Letters through Waltham Cross

Post Office, Nazeing Upper Town. Letters through Waltham Cross. Nazeing is the nearest M. O. & T. office

Post & Tel. Call Office, Keyser’s Estate. Letters thro’ Hoddesdon (Herts). Broxbourne nearest M. O. office

Police Station, Middle street


Man Loaded with Mischief
  • My favourite pub sign
  • Navigation

    And Last updated on: Wednesday, 03-Jul-2019 18:27:33 BST