OCKENDON (SOUTH & NORTH) & NEIGHBOURHOOD
Pigot's Essex 1828-9 Trade Directory
South Ockendon is a small village distant four miles form Gray�s Thurrock, seven from Brentwood, eight from Romford, and three from Upminster. The church is an ancient edifice, with a tower, and one bell, and contains a mural monument to the memory of Sir Richard Salstonhall, dated 1601; there is besides a neat Methodist chapel here. There are several genteel residences in this parish, and the general aspect of its vicinity is respectable and pleasant. The population is 777.
North Ockendon is about a mile from the above village, and of much less importance. The church is ancient, with a tower containing five bells, and is interesting in appearance, by being nearly covered with ivy. The number of inhabitants is about 300.
Cranham is a still smaller village, about a mile from the last named place, and comprises a few houses, with a church, which has a tower, and about 230 inhabitants.
Post Office, South Ockendon, Samuel Summers, Post Master, Red Lion � The letters arrive at eight in the morning, and are dispatched to Romford at five in the evening.
Gentry & Clergy
Note � The name s with the village not mentioned are in South Ockendon.
Atcheon Rev. Anthony
Cliff Jno. Esq. Sth. Ockendon Hall
Lloyd Edward, esq.
Ludby Rev. Cranham
May Mr. Wm. Moland�s Hall
Russell Joseph, esq. Stubboth
Stewart John Heu. esq. Grange
Swabey Rev. Steph. Nth Ockendon
King�s Head, Wm. Clark
Plough, Joshua Clarke
Red Lion, Samuel Summers
Traders & Shopkeepers
Beard David, baker
Brown Edward, surgeon
Elsdon Ann, wheelwright
Eve William, miller
Pake William, baker
Plott John, saddler
Potton Sarah, grocer
Smith Henry, grocer
Sweeting Samuel, carpenter
To London, from the Red Lion, Ockendon, every morning at half-past seven to the Saracen�s Head, Aldgate; and returns at half-past seven in the evening
To London, from Ockendon, Abhm Coe, every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, to the Swan, Whitechapel; and returns in the evening.
Pigot's Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory
SOUTH OCKENDON is a small village and parish, in the hundred of Chafford; eight miles from Romford, four from Grays Thurrock, and three from Upminster. It is a respectable little village, but possesses no attractions for the tourist or man of business. It contains a church, and a meeting-house for independents. The parish contained, by the last returns, 816 inhabitants.
NORTH OCKENDON is in the same hundred as the before-mentioned village, about a mile distant from it. The only object of the least interest here is the church, which is nearly covered with ivy, and presents an ornament in unison with this small rural village. The number of inhabitants, by the last returns, was 294; being a decrease in the population, since the census of 1821, of 31 persons.
POST OFFICE, SOUTH OCKENDON, Henry Smith, Post Master. - Letters from ROMFORD arrive (by mail-cart) every morning at eight, and are despatched every evening at five.
POST OFFICE, NORTH OCKENDON, John Elliot, Post Master. - Letters arrive every morning at half-past seven, and are despatched every evening at half-past five.
COACH To LONDON, Thomas Boyce's coach, from the Red Lion, every morning at half-past seven; goes through Romford and Ilford.
CARRIER To LONDON, Abraham Coe's Waggon. Every Mon. Wed. & Fri. evening.
Transcribed by CG
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
OCKENDON (NORTH), a village and a parish in Orsett district, Essex. The village stands 5 miles NNW of Grays r. station, and 6 SE by E of Romford; and has a post-office under Romford. The parish, in allusion to the number of springs in it, is sometimes called Ockendon of the Seven Fountains. Acres, 1,698. Real property, £3,070. Pop., 341. Houses, 61. The property is divided among a few. Stubbers, an old brick manor-house, is the seat of C.B. Russell, Esq. The parish is a meet for the South Essex hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £550. Patron, R. Benyon, Esq. The church is ancient; was restored in 1858, at a cost of more than £1000; has a tower of flint and stone; and contains brasses and monuments of the Poyntzes and Littletons. There are a national school, and charities £53.
OCKENDON (SOUTH), a village and a parish in Orsett district, Essex. The village stands 3¾ miles NNW of Grays r. station, and 6½ SW of Romford; and has a post-office under Romford. The parish is sometimes called Ockendon-Rokely. Acres, 2,907. Real property, £6,349. Pop., in 1851, 1,021; in 1861, 1,267. Houses, 231. The increase of pop. Arose mainly from the conversion of a large farm into a market-garden, and from extensive draining operations. The property is much subdivided. There are several ancient mounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £845. Patron, the Rev. P. Lawrence. The church is ancient; was variously restored, enlarged, and rebuilt in 1866; has a richly carved Norman doorway and a round tower - the latter raised to an additional height of 18 feet in 1866; includes a chapel restored in 1863, and a new chancel built in 1866; cost, for the work done in the latter year, exclusive of the chancel, £2,173; and contains a canopied brass of Sir J. Bruyn of 1480, and two other brasses. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and a British school.
Transcribed by Noel Clark