The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
SHALFORD, a parish, with a village, in Braintree district, Essex; on the river Pant, 4¾ miles NNW of Braintree r. station. It has a post-office under Braintree. Acres, 2,455. Real property, £4,880. Pop., 760. Houses, 176. the property is much subdivided. The manor, with Abbots Hall, belongs to R. Marriott, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £203. Patron, the Prebendary of Shalford in Wells Cathedral. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower.
Transcribed by Noel Clark