Tilbury juxta Clare
White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Essex ~ 1848
Submitted and Transcribed by Essex Villages
TILBURY-JUXTA-CLARE is a small village and parish, 4 miles S. of
Clare, and 7 miles N. by W. of Halstead, containing only 276 souls, and 925
acres of land, having a hilly surface and a fertile, but rather heavy soil.
The Earl of Mornington is lord of the manor, and owner of Tilbury Hall, an ancient farmhouse, which had formerly a park, and was long held by the Vere and Towns(h/b)end families. Sir Fras. De Vere was a renowned general in the reign of Elizabeth; and Horatio de Vere, another warrior of this ancient family, was created Baron Vere, of Tilbury, in 1625; but on his death without male issue, in 1635, the title became extinct. B. Chandler, C. Giblin, K. Viall, J. James, Mrs. Way, and several smaller owners, have land here.
The Church is a small ancient stone building, with a brick tower, and two bells. The rectory is consolidated with that of Ovington, as noticed at page 707. The church clerk has part of the meadow at Ashen, said to have been given by a lady who was buried in the church.
Allen Geo. Beerhouse and shopkpr
Firmin Joseph, carpenter
Goody Abraham, shopkeeper
Goody Wm. Shoemaker
Scriviner Thos. Beerhs. & flour dlr
Taylor David, Tilbury Hall
Warters Thomas, Tilbury Hall
Whitlock Wm. Meadow-End
Willett John, Little Meadow-End
Letters via Yeldham
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF ESSEX 1933
TILBURY-juxta-CLARE is a parish in the northern part of the county, and must not be confounded with the places of similar name in the south: it is 1 mile north of the road from Colchester to Cambridge, 1½ miles north from Yeldham station on the London and North Eastern railway, 3½ south-west from Clare and 8 north-west from Halstead, in the Saffron Walden division of the county, Hinckford hundred, North Hinckford petty sessional division, Halstead rural district, Colchester, Clacton and Halstead joint county court district, and in the rural deanery of Belchamp, archdeaconry of Colchester and Chelmsford diocese. The church of St. Margaret is an ancient building of rubble, in the Perpendicular style, erected in 1517, possibly by the de Vere family, whose arms appear on the fabric, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower of red brick, and of later date, containing 2 bells: there are 150 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from 1561; marriages, 1611. The living is a rectory, annexed with the chapelry of Allbrights to the rectory of Ovinton, joint net yearly value £620 with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the Brett family, and held since 1898 by the Rev. Cecil Walter Brett M.A. of St. Johns College, Oxford, who resides at Ovington. Harold Hicks Goodchild and Joseph William Bowyer are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas and beans. The area is 1,026 acres; the population in 1931 was 126 in the civil and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921, 243.
Letters should be addressed Tilbury, Great Yeldham, Essex. The nearest Post, M. 0. & T. office is at Great Yeldham
London pub history directory.