Search my Pub history, pubwiki and Home and London

WALTHAMSTOW AND NEIGHBOURHOOD

Pigot's Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory

WALTHAMSTOW is a delightful village, in the Hundred of Becontree; about 6 ½ miles N.E. from St. Paul's, London, and 3 from Stratford; situated upon the borders of Epping forest, in a very extensive parish, which include five manors, viz., the manor of the Rectory, that of Walthamstow-Tony, Walthamstow-Frances, Higham Beustead, and Salisbury Hall.

The name of Waltham is purely Saxon, signifying 'a Dwelling in a wood,' and indeed is perfectly applicable to this parish, which might be compared to what the ancients called 'a rural city.' Country seats, farms, houses and cottages, are so blended together - and the paths, encompassed with trees and hedges, are so beautifully romantic - that no surprise can be manifested that so many opulent and respectable families reside in the healthy district. The river Lea forms the western boundary of the parish; on this stream is the manufactory of the 'British Copper Company.'

The places of worship are, the parish church, dedicated to St. Mary; the chapel of ease of St. John's, at Chapel End; and two chapels for dissenters. The church is built on an eminence; yet it often happens that in opening vaults, or digging graves, the water must be thrown out before the corpse can be interred. It is a large Gothic structure, and appears to have been built in or about the twelfth century; the two aisles, however, are of more recent date, and two galleries were added in 1808. There are a great number of monuments in this church, but not many that excite any particular interest or curiosity, most of them being of modern date. The living of Walthamstow is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Essex and deanery of Barking; the Rev. W. Wilson is the present patron and incumbent, the Rev. M. Terrington is the curate, and the Rev. B.E. Nicholls is the officiating minister of St. John's chapel. The charities comprise a free grammar-school for thirty children, founded and endowed by Sir George Monous, Knt., in 1527, - who likewise endowed 13 almshouses with rents arising from houses in London; there are also six other almshouses, for widows of decayed tradesmen, endowed by Mrs. Mary Squires. The parish of Walthamstow contained, by the census for 1831, 4,258, being an increase, in thirty years, of 1,252 inhabitants.

Post Receiving Box at Mrs. Taus's, Marsh-street, from whence letters to LONDON are despatched every morning at half-past eight, and every afternoon at half-past three - At Mr. William Southgate's, letters are despatched every morning at nine, and every afternoon at four - At Mrs. Wright's, Wood-street, letters are despatched every morning at a quarter before nine, and every afternoon at a quarter before four.

COACHES. To LONDON, Robert Wragg's coaches, from Walthamstow, every morning (Sunday excepted) at eight, nine and ten, every afternoon at half-past two and half-past five, &c every evening at seven; and on Sunday morning at eight and nine, and Sunday evening at six, seven and eight.

CARRIERS. To LONDON (all parts of), Robert Close and Richard Melsom, from Chapel end, James Vickery, from Wood st, & Thomas Wells, from Forest, every morning.

Transcribed by CG

White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Essex ~ 1848

Submitted and Transcribed by Essex Villages

 

 

WALTHAMSTOW, one of the largest and handsomest suburban villages near the metropolis, is delightfully situated on the eastern side of the vale of the river Lea, within the southern verge of Epping Forest, from 1 to 3 miles N. E of Lea Bridge Railway station, near Leyton; and from 5 to 7 miles N. E. of London. It is surrounded by beautiful and romantic woodland scenery, and contains many large and handsome villas, with tasteful pleasure grounds, mostly occupied by wealthy merchants and others, who have their place of business in London. It is in several detached members, called Church-end, Chapel-end, Hale-end, North-end, Marsh street, Higham hill, Clay street, Whips cross, Wood street, &c. Its parish is in the diocese of London, and contains 4436a. of land, including about 540 acres of open forest, on the north-east, and a tract of rich marshes, on the banks of the river Lea, which separates it from Middlesex. Its population increased from 3006 souls in 1801, to 4873 in 1841. It has a large ancient church, three neat modern chapels of ease, a free school, a large proprietary grammar school, numerous charities for the poor, and a large station attended by the metropolitan police; and on the banks of the Lea, are the extensive Copper Mills of Messrs. Williams, Foster, and Co., who employ about 300 hands in making bar and sheet copper, &c.

The parish is in five Manors, of which the following are the names and lords;-Walthamstow Toni, Viscount Maynard; Low Hall, or Walthamstow Francis, S. R. Bosanquet, Esq.; Higham Bensted, Joseph Sands, Esq.; Salisbury Hall; Edward and Wm. Vale, Esqrs.; and the Rectory Manor, Captain Thomas Haveside. A great part of the soil belongs to many smaller proprietors, both free and copyholders. The parish is mostly pasturage, but it includes about 130 acres of enclosed woodland, 540a. of open forest, and 206a. 2r. 14p. in Higham Hill, Church, and Mark House Commons. From time immemorial the parishioners have enjoyed the rights of pasture in the three commons, the open forest, and also in the Marshes. The latter are open from August 13th till April 6th, and the forest all the year, except in 'fence month'  from June 21st to July 21st. Forest ratepayers may without stint, turn out horses and cows, but not sheep. The three commons are now (1848) being enclosed, some of the landowners having petitioned the Commissioners of Woods and Forests for that purpose, and it is proposed to set apart one third for the use of the poor, who had been promised, and claim, a much larger share.

At the domesday survey, the parish was mostly held by Waltheof, Earl of Northumberland, Peter de Valoines, and Ralph de Toni. The latter was standard bearer to the Conqueror. Viscount Maynard holds court leet and baron at Toni Hall, a large brick building, in Shernhall street. The manor house of Low Hall, is occupied by a farmer. The manor of Higham Bensted belonged to the Bensted family, from the reign of Edward ll, to that of Henry Vll., and it was afterwards held by the Heron, Rowe, Newman, Bacon, and other families. Anthony Bacon, Esq., about 1770, erected Highams House, a large and brick mansion, belonging to J. Sands, Esq., of Liverpool, and now unoccupied. It is seated on a high ridge of land, at the north end of the parish, commanding extensive prospects. The house and grounds were afterwards much improved by two former owners, Wm. Hornby and J. Harman, Esqrs. Salisbury Hall, now a farmhouse, had its name from the unfortunate Margaret Plantagenet, Countess of Salisbury, under whom the manor was held by the Tyrwhitt family, in the early part of the 16th century.

Belle-vue House, the seat of Chas Cook, Esq., is a new and elegant mansion, delightfully situated near the north-western verge of the parish. It is of brick, with stone dressings, and semi-circular portico of Portland stone, supported by Ionic columns, 25 feet in height. It is an admirable specimen of the skill of that eminent architect Mr. Edward Gifford. The pleasure grounds comprise about 76 acres, chiefly woodland, and have been laid out with great taste by Mr. Sandys, who has greatly added to their beauty by a fine lake.

The house stands on such an eminence, that from the upper rooms may be seen the horizon over London. The west front commands a fine view over the vale of the Lea, into Middlesex and Hertfordshire; the south, into Surrey and Kent; and the north and east, into Epping Forest, and a great part of Essex. Many other villas in the parish display much architectural beauty, and are enclosed in tasteful and well-wooded pleasure grounds. Blue House Fishery, in the river Lea, is rented by a number of gentlemen subscribers. The Parish Church (Virgin Mary) is a stately fabric, on an eminence, and is supposed to have been erected in the twelfth century, but the nave and part of the tower were rebuilt by Sir Geo. Monox, about 1535, and the buildings were enlarged, repaired, and beautified in 1817, at the cost of £3430. Galleries, and a new organ and clock, were erected in 1807, and the nave was remodelled, and the east window enriched with stained glass, in 1843-4, at the cost of about £1000. The organ was enlarged in the latter year, at the cost of nearly £300. The church is of brick, covered with cement, and has many elegant mural monuments to the Conyers and other families. In the tower is a peal of eight bells. In the vestry is a parochial library of 600 volumes. A large and costly mausoleum was erected in the churchyard, in 1848, in memory of the late M. Wilson, Esq.

The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £13. 6s. 2d., and in 1831 at £811, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. W. Wilson, B.D. The vicar has about £80 a year from Maynard.s charity, as afterwards noticed. All the tithes were commuted in 1843 for £1153. 6s. 8d., of which only about one third belongs to the impropriate rectory, now held by R. L. Orlebar, Esq. In the parish are three new churches, or chapels of ease, each of which is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar. The total number of free sittings in these and the parish church is 1400. St John's, at Chapel end, is a neat white brick edifice, of mixed architecture, built in 1829-30, at the cost of about £2000, raised by subscription, and now having a gallery, erected in 1839. The Rev. J. Bull. M.A., is the incumbent. St James's, in Marsh street, has a tower and one bell, and is a brick structure, erected in 1841-2, at the cost of £1460, raised by subscription, except £250 given by the Church Building Society. The site was given by the vicar, and the Rev. A. R. Pennington, M.A., is the incumbent. St Peter's, on the forest side of the parish, was built by subscription, in 1840, at the cost of about £3000, and is a handsome brick structure, with a tower and one bell, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. T. Cornthwaite, M.A. In Marsh street is an Independent Chapel, built in 1795, and there is a small one in Wood street, erected in 1845. The former has a large school, and the latter belongs to Mr. Ebenezer Clark.

The erection of a Catholic chapel, in Shernhall street, is in contemplation. The following account of the Schools, Almshouses, and numerous Charities belonging to this parish, is abridged from the reports of the late Parliamentary Commissioners.

Almhouse and Free School:-In the 33rd of Henry Vlll., Sir. Geo. Monox built an almshouse and school here, and bequeathed a yearly rent-charge of £42. 17s. 4d., out of forty messuages, in the parish of Allhallows-Staining, London to be applied yearly as follows- £6. 13s. 4d. to a priest, who should teach 20 to 30 free scholars; £5. 13s. 4d. to the said priest, for an obit to be kept in the parish church, for the souls of the donor and others; £19. 14s. 4d., to be paid in weekly stipends of 7d. each, to the thirteen almspeople, (8 men and 5 women) £5. 6s. 8d. to the parish clerk, to sing and serve God in the parish church, and to help teach the children there; and £5, for distribution in coals among the thirteen almspeople. He also charged the same premises with the reparation of the almshouse and school, and they were further charged by Edward Alford, in 1599, with the yearly rent of £9, to be applied as follows-£5 in clothing, and £2 in herrings, or other victuals, for the thirteen almspeople, and £2 to the schoolmaster, or other honest person, for his trouble in distributing the same. The obit was discontinued in the 2nd of Edward Vl., and in 1782, an agreement was improperly made between the parish officers and the then owners of the property charged with the above payment, whereby the latter gave up to the parish their interest in the chapel and north aisle, added by the founder of this charity to the parish church; in consideration of which the former agreed to reduce the two rent-charges to £21 per annum. Any loss sustained by the charity under this deed, was to be made good out of the pew rents, or parochial rates. Sir T. S. Dyer is now owner of the property, in London, subject to the rent-charges.

The following additional benefactions have been made to the 13 almspeople; viz., £286. 13s. three and a half per cent. stock, arising from the bequest of John Harman, Esq in 1816; £756 three and a half per cent, stock, arising from the bequest of Richard Banks, in 1812; and £500 of the same stock, left by Wm. Bedford, in 1822. The annual payments now made in respect of this charity are as follows:-£6. 3s. 4d. to the 'alms-priest' schoolmaster; £1. 6s. 8d. to the parish clerk; £7. 4s. 7d. to each of the 13 almspeople, in various sums, at different times of the year; and about £5. 8d. in a distribution of coals among the latter, who also received a yearly supply of coals and a weekly dole of bread from other charities. They are appointed by the trustees and churchwardens, according to the deed of 1782. The almshouses are on the north side of the churchyard, and comprises 13 tenements for the almspeople, with an apartment in the centre, and several upper rooms, held by the schoolmaster. Behind them are small gardens, occupied by the almspeople.

Under Monox's gift, the schoolmaster has £6. 13s. 4d. yearly, and the rent of the rooms over the almshouses, which he lets for about £30 per annum. He also receives about £46 a year from Maynard's Charity; for his better maintenance, and for his care and pains in reading prayers in the church every Sunday, and in teaching eight poor children of Walthamstow, to be nominated by the testators heirs. The scholars on the foundation are taught Latin, English, writing, and Arithmetic, and pay 10s.each per quarter, for which they are provided with all necessary stationary, except printed books. Ozler's Free School, at Low Leyton, is open to the poor children of this parish. At Church-end is a National School, established in 1815, and now attended by 90 girls and 70 boys. There are Infant Schools at Chapel-end, Hale-end, and in Marsh street, and near St. James Church is another National School, built in 1842.

Maynard's Charity:- In 1686, Henry Maynard bequeathed to this parish £950, to be laid out in land, and the yearly proceeds applied to the under mentioned uses, in the proportions specified. This £950 was laid out in a purchase of a farm of 52a 3r 24p.,at Higham Hill, now let for about £120 per annum. Though this estate was purchased in 1691, the charity was not established till 1715, when £450 was recovered from the trustees as arrears of rent, and invested in the purchase of a farm of 30a 2r 14p., at Hale-end, now let for £100. The clear yearly income arising from these farms, is dispensed as follows,-eight-nineteenths, to the vicar of Walthamstow; six-nineteenths, for distribution among the poor parishioners; four-nineteenths to the master of the free school; and the remaining nineteenth in purchasing rings, for the churchwardens and overseers, for they care in distributing the portion belonging to the poor.

Squire's Almshouse, for six poor widows, were built by Mary Squire, who endowed them, in 1795 and 6, with £2900 three per cent. Reduced Bank Annuities, to provide yearly stipends of £13 for each of the alms-women, £3 for the reparation of the almshouses; and £6 for the distribution in coals among twelve poor housekeepers of Walthamstow, members of the Church of England.

Bread Charities, arising from the five following benefactions, and producing £61. 2s. per annum, are applied in weekly distributions of bread, every Sunday, at the church. This fund arises as follows:- £39 from a rent-charge given by James Holbrook, in 1805, out of a farm in Marsh lane; £7. 10s., from an annuity left by Tristram Conyers, in the 1st of James l., out of land now belonging to the Harman family; £3 out of land and buildings in Marsh street, left by Richard Garnett, in 1642; £2. 12s., out of about 7a.of land, left by Thomas Gamuel, in 1642, and now let for about £14 a year; and £9, as the interest of £110, of which £130 was left in 1711, by Thomas Turner; and £25, by Anthony and Dinah Compton. The two latter sums accumulated to £180, which was vested with the churchwardens, who expended it in 1792, in building a parish workhouse, which has recently been converted into the sextons residence and vestry room. The rest of Garnett's charity is applied in a distribution of coals, with Maynards charity. In 1735, Jeremiah Wakelin left the pound field, 1a.2r.17p., to the churchwardens, in trust, to distribute the rent yearly on New Years Day, in bread, or meat, among the poor parishioners. This land is let for about £8 per annum. A yearly rent-charge of £2, left by Robert Rampston, in 1585, is paid out of Stone Hall estate, which he also charged with several small rent-charges for the poor of other parishes. In 1752, Thos. Legendre left for the poor £600, and 1757, Katherine Woodball bequeathed to them £400. These sums are now vested in £1009 three per cent. Reduced Annuities, the dividends of which are distributed in coals. In 1810, Mary Newell left £500 three per cent. Consolidated Bank Annuities, to the churchwardens, in trust, to apply two-thirds of the yearly dividends in apprenticing one poor boy of this parish, and to pay the remainder towards the support of the Church Sunday school.

Discretionary Charities.- The following charities are either such as are given generally for the use of the poor at the discretion of the minister, parish officers and vestry, or some of them; or gifts for keeping tombs in repair, or for purposes to which they are now inapplicable, and of which no ulterior appropriation is made by the donors. These, when not required for the specified uses, are carried to the charity account. Various Benefactions, amounting to £95, were laid out in 1650 in the purchase of 13a. 1r. 16p. of land, now in four fields, let for about £49 per annum, which is distributed chiefly in blankets and potatoes. In 1633, £120, derived from the bequest of Thos. Colby, was laid out in the purchase of 13a. 3r. 8p. of land in Hale End lane, now let for about £40 a year, which is mostly distributed in coals. In 1674, Edward Corbett left property now consisting of three houses, gardens, &c., let for about £85 per annum, which is mostly distributed in coals to the poor parishioners, and in monthly pensions to poor widows; but 20s. is paid to the minister, and 5s. to the clerk, for a sermon on the 26th of May.

In 1487, the Rev. Wm. Hyll gave to the churchwardens 3r.6p.of land, now let for £2 a year. In 1723, Sigismund Trafford left to the minister and churchwardens a yearly rent-charge of £10 out of Grainge Hill Farm, near Lincoln. After paying for cleaning and repairing the donors monument, the remainder is distributed among the poor. In 1732, Edmund Wise left 6a. 2r. of land, now let for about £20 a year. After paying for the repairs of his tomb, the rest is dispensed in charity. In 1782, Thos. Sims left £100 three per cent. Consols, for the reparation of his family tomb. What is not wanted for that purpose is carried to the general charity account. The dividends of £100 of the same stock, left by John Rigge, in 1806, are applied in the same manner. By contributing 2s. 0 per fortnight to a Coal club, established in 1827, labourers and other poor inhabitants of this parish obtain coal at the wholesale cost price. About 150 tons are distributed annually among the poor from the funds of the before mentioned charities. Here is a Lying-in Charity, and societies for supplying the poor with cheap clothing, and with allotments for cultivation in spade husbandry.

Forest Proprietary Grammer School, in connection with King's College, London, is pleasantly situated in an open part of Epping Forest, near Snaresbrook, but in Walthamstow parish, and forms a handsome and extensive range of brick buildings, with large boarding houses, spacious school-rooms, &c. It was founded about 10 years ago, and among its proprietors are some of the principal merchants, bankers, &c., in London.

The terms per annum are £20 for education, £35 for board, and £4. 4s.for washing. Many of the sons of gentlemen residing in this and adjacent parishes, are day pupils. The teachers are John Fdk. Boyes, Esq., M.A, Head Master; Henry Morini, Esq., Second and French Master; Mr Jas Sykes, assistant Master; Mr Abel Siccami, M.A., German Master; and Mr Richd Pickersgill, Drawing Master. P. H. Berthorn, Esq., is honorary secretary to the proprietors; and Alderman Copeland, M.P., is the president.

The Institution for the Education of the Daughters of Missionaries, in Marsh street, was established in 1838, and is supported by subscription, for the purpose of affording a comfortable residence, board, and a liberal education, to the daughters of missionaries, for small charges not to exceed £12 per annum for each girl under ten years of age, nor £15 for those above that age. For clothing, each is charged £5 per annum. There are generally about 45 pupils, and Mrs Rawlings is now the matron. The supporters of this useful institution are chiefly dissenters.

Those marked 1,are in Chapel end: 2,Church end; 3,Clay street; 4,in the Forest; 5,Grove lane; 6,Hale end; 7,at Higham hill; 8,Hoe street; 9,Marsh lane; 10,Marsh street; 11,North end; 12,Shernhall street; 13,at Whips Cross; and 14,in Wood street.

Post Office at Mr Wm. Dacomb's, Wood street. Letters are dispatched to London at 9 morning, 12 noon, 4 afternoon, and 6 and 8 evening. There are receiving houses at Mr. Wm. Dyer's, Marsh street, and Mr. Wm. Southgate's, Whips Cross.

Most of the gentlemen in the following Miscellaneous List have places of business in London.

Allen Richd. B. gent. Hoe street

3 Arnold Mrs Mary

12 Armitage Rev. Jph. North Green M.A. sec. to Pastoral Aid Society

14 Bailey Mr Wm.

5 Barclay Ford, Esq. Grove House

Barclay Gurney, Esq. The Limes

Barker Robt. Esq. Whips Cross

2 Barker Thos. G. police sergeant

Barton Mrs B., Forest

12 Bedwell Mr. Fras. Robert

4 Berthorn P .H. gent & 13 Misses

9 Beven Mr Henry A.

Bingley Mrs Hanh., Higham Lodge

14 Bird George, organist, &c.

4 Boyes Jno. Fdk., M.A. head mr. of Forest Propry. Gram. School

3 Briant Wm. Henry, gent.

1 Bull Rev. Jno., M.A. incumbent of St. John's

Burrell Cs. sheep salesman, Low Hall

4 Burton Hy. Gent ll 9 Button Mrs Sus.

7 Capel Thos. gent ll 10 Caley Miss

10 Carr Isaac, merchant

14 Casborn Jno. china, glass, &c. dlr

2 Charlton Mr James

6 Clark John, forest reeve

6 Clark Geo. gent ll 4 Clark Mr Wm.

10 Clinton Mrs Sus., Stony Dam

6 Cocker Mr Benjamin

7 Cogan Rev. Eleazer

12 Collard Captain George

8 Collier Edmund, merchant

4 Cook Chas. Esq., Bellvue House, (and Ramsgate)

10 Corbett Mrs Hannah

10 Cotesworth Robert, Esq.

4 Cornthwaite Rev. Tullie, M.A. incumbent of St. Peter's

4 Davis Miss Pcla ll Dawson Miss

13 Dersley Thos. veterinary surgeon and cow leech

10 Drake Wm. Walker, gent

10 Dyer Wm. poulterer

Eachlaz T. A. gent. Upland House

Evans John, gent. Stony Dam

4 Everington Miller, gent. Oak Hill Lodge

3 Farquharson Charles, Esq.

12 Fitch Mrs My. ll 10 Evans Mrs

1 Fisher Mr Hy. and 10 Mr Jph.

Foulger John Esq. Hoe street

7 Ford Wm. keeper of the Blue House Fishery

4 Foster Edw. Esq., Mill Cottage

9 Foster John, gentleman

10 Freeman Mr Chas. and Mrs Sus.

10 Gadsden Henry Fras. gent

3 Gibson Thos. Esq (& Thos F.)

14 Gollop John, coal dealer &c.

3 Goss John Wm. gentleman

8 Green Henry, gentleman

2 Greenwood Wm. gentleman

Grigg George, Esq. Forest

Greig John Glennie, L.L.D. Walthamstow House

10 Hall Misses Sarah and Mary

3 Harper Benj. chimney sweeper

Harris Jph. Owen. Esq. Forest

12 Harris Richd. Peckover, Esq.

2 Haviside Capt. Thos., R. N.

6 Heatley Rd. gent ll 10 Hartley Jas.

Helme Jas. Esq. Chesnut Walk

4 Helme Rt. Esq. ll 10 Hind Mr Jas.

Hill John, Esq. Forest

10 Hollely Wm. King, fishmonger

Hoole Rev. John M.A. North Bank

3 Hooper Jas. & Wm. Thos. gent

3 Hopewell Mr Edward

14 Houghton Wm. solicitor

11 How Jas. stone mason, &c

10 Hunt Mr Ebenezer

Hutchinson Capt. Thos., R.A. Marks House Cottage

6 James Robert Philip, gent

Janson Alfred, Esq. Hoe street

6 Jones Robt. P. gent ll 4 Jordan Geo.

10 Jury Mr Jas. ll 10 Kirkman Wm.

Kent John, marsh reeve

LeMerte George, gent. Forest

10 Laprimaudaye Miss Sarah

5 Lewin Mrs Jane

12 Little Wm. John, M.D.

2 Lloyd Edw. gent ll Loxham Miss E.

7 Lloyd Eusebius Arthur, M.D. Higham Lodge

14 Lockhart Eliz. stay maker

10 Mackeson Richd. surgeon

8 Mackray Rev. Robert, (Indpt)

10 Mann Mrs Ann

14 Markham Thos. umbrella maker

13 Masterman Jno. & Thos. Esqrs.

2 Maynard Robert, sexton

6 Mildred Danl. Esq. governor of Christ's Hospital, Hale-end Ldg

Mildred Miss, Marsh lane

7 Miles Thomas, gentleman

Morini Hy. Esq. second master of propry. Gram. School, Forest

Ormes Mrs Mary, Marsh street

6 Palmer Aleph, gent. White Hall

9 Pattison James, brewer

5 Pelly Albert, gentleman

10 Pennington Rev. Arthur Rt., M.A. incumbent of St. James

10 Perry Edw. church clerk

14 Pledger Thos. cowkeeper

14 Pledger James, tobacconist

5 Powell Nathl. wine merchant

4 Plowman Wm. merchant

10 Price Mrs Elizabeth

Putman Norris, watch & clock mkr.

Rawlings Esther, matron of the Instn. for Daughters of Missionaries

4 Rhodes Rev. Francis Wm., M.A.

4 Ricardo Henry, gentleman

14 Roberts Robert, cooper

14 Ruggles Jas. wood dlr.& sawyer

6 Sheridan Saml. chimney sweeper

7 Sinnott Mr Jas ll 6 Smith Jph.

14 Smart John, clerk of St. John's

14 Taverner John, well sinker

14 Taylor Saml. chemist & druggist

5 Terrington Wm. Walmsey, gent

10 Thomas Matthew, gentleman

9 Thompson John, gentleman

Thorp Mr Robt. & Mr Jas. Grove pl

10 Trueman Chas. Esq. & Mrs Sus.

10 Turner Chas. parish clerk

10 Turner Hy. veterinary surgeon

4 Turner John Fuller, Esq.

10 Tyser Geo. Dorman, shipowner

13 Twentyman Lawrence, Esq.

10 Vote James Kent, builder

8 Walker George, gentleman

1 Walton Mr John W.

Warner Mrs & Edw. Gent. West Gro

3 Webb Mr Wm. ll Welch Mr. D.

Wigram Edward, Esq. Clay st

14 Williams Charles, cow leech

2 Williams Daniel Hunt, Esq.

Williams, Foster, & Co., bar & sheet copper mfrs. Marshes, (& London)

4 Wilson John, surveyor

2 Wilson Rev. Alfred, B.A. curate

2 Wilson Rev. Wm., B.D. vicar

Woodley John, Esq. Orford House

10 Wragg Robert, gentleman



Academies & Schools

(Marked + take boarders)

13+Benson Wm., Vine House

8 British School, W. E. Whittingham and Mrs Grey

Corsham Mary P., Marsh lane

+Forest Proprietary Gram. School, J. F. Boyes, M.A. and Hy Morini

Free Gram School, Rev. J. G. Greig, L.L.D. and Robert Watkins

Gollop Lucy, Wood street

13+Heiden Chas., Oxford House

Infant School, 2 Cath. Walker; 4 My. Willis; and 6 Sar. Greenfield

10+Milford Miss My. and Sister

10 Missionary Sch.

National Schools, 2 Thos and Mary King; and 10 Emily Perry

10+Stedman Eliz ll 10 Penn Hanh.

10+Willoughby Chtte. And Fanny



Fire & Life Offices

14 Guardian, James How

10 Phoenix, Samuel Lilley

14 Royal Exchange, Wm. Dacomb

14 Royal Farmers, John Waller

13 Star, George Harman Knott

14 Sun, Turner & Budd



Inns and Taverns

10 Chequers, Richard Wilson

9 Coach and Horse, Fras Ormiston

10 Cock, Joseph Hicks

1 Crooked Billet, Phoebe Naldred

14 Dukes Head, John Orme

Ferry Boat, Wm. Tyler

2 Nags Head, Eliz. Hinchley

1 Victor, Andrew Dean



Bakers

14 Bailey Robert

13 Cheffins John

14 Putman Philip

14 Staples John

14 Stoker John

10 Wesley Wm.

10 Whaite Hy. Jno.

1 Wood Charles



Beerhouses

10 Burrows Elnr.

3 Davis Edward

3 Hibbin Wm.

6 Hurdle Mary

4 Jordan John

1 Martin James

13 Moore Isaac

4 Picton Wm.

14 Sinfield John

14 Vale Wm.

14 Woodard Isc.



Blacksmiths

10 Barltrop Jtn.

11 Nicholls Jas.

14 Sinfield John

10 Turner Henry

10 Whitmore John



Booksellers & Stationers

13 Knott G. H.

14 Penn Francis

14 Rolph Thos.



Boot & Shoemrs

14 Berry Thomas

10 Boffee Samuel

10 Bowman Wm.

14 Broadhurst Ts.

14 Carter Thos.

4 Cox John

1 Challis Wm.

10 Dickinson Jno.

10 Evans Thos.

10 Havers David

10 Newman Edwn.

1 Potter Joshua

14 Shillinglaw J.

14 Smith Saml.

3 Watson Thos.

14 Wiffen John

2 Wilson John



Builders

11 How James

14 How Wm.

13 Moore John

2 Reid Anthy. S.

10 Saltwell Rd.

10 Turner Alfred



Butchers

10 Boltwood My.

13 Bradshaw Jno.

14 Harsant Thos.

14 Mitchell Chas.

10 Naldrett Hy.

2 Pledger Henry

10 Selmes John

14 Vale Eliz.



Cabinet Mkrs. & Upholsterers

Shadrack Richd.

10 Taff Francis

14 Waller John

14 Williams Hy.



Carpenters & Undertakers

2 Buckland Sol

11 Cossar Geo.

1 Chipperton Jas.

1 Freeman Paul

13 Moore John

14 Pledger Thos.

2 Reid A. S.

10 Saltwell Richd.

10 Springate Jno.



Confectioners

14 Stoker John

10 Whittingham Susanna



Corn Dealers

14 Casborn John

14 Turner & Budd

10 Wragg Robert



Farmers

7 Charlton Jas.

4 Clark Thomas, Thorp Hall

3 Brown Thomas

Burrell Charles, Low Hall

6 Forster Edw. jun

7 Lacey Stephen

3 Fox Wm.

1 Martin Benj.

14 Gibbin Joseph

Sinnott Jas. Higham Hill Farm

7 Rumble James

Soames Jno. Salisbury Farm

8 Tasker Wm.

10 Wilson Jane

3 Wragg Francis



Furniture Bkrs

13 Shadrack Rd.

14 Waller John



Grocers, &c. (+ Cheesemngrs)

10+Aylett Mattw.

10+Blake Wm.

14+Dacomb Wm.

14 Dutton James

10+Hobson Robt.

14 Holton Joseph

10+Lilley Saml.

14 Pledger Wm.

14+Turner & Budd

13 Whittingham S.



Hairdressers

10 Boffee Ths. A. B.

14 Cross Charles

14 Williams Wm.



Horse and Gig Owners

10 Boffee Thos.

14 Harvey John

14 Holton Joseph

13 Moore Isaac

13 Southgate Wm.

12 Wiles James

3 Wragg Francis



Ironmongers

14 Sinfield John

10 Turner James



Linen Drapers

14 Dacomb Wm.

10 Hasluck John

14 Turner & Budd



Livery Stables

14 Orme John

10 Wilson Richd.

3 Wragg Francis



Locksmith & Bellhangers

10 Corsham Sml.

14 Sinfield John



Milliners

13 Knott Mrs.

12 Simons Ann

11 Taylor E. & M.



Nurserymen

14 Gollop John

10 Humphreys Jas.

13 Pamplin Jas.



Painters, Plumbers, &c.

13 Gibbard & Pape

10 Penn Francis

Poole, Son, & Gibbard (& Leyton)

14 Webber Chas.



Saddlers

14 Smith Charles

14 Speller Chas.



Shopkeepers

1 Chipperton Jas.

4 Darley Anty.

14 Dutton James

10 Hylett Mattw.

10 Langford Jno.

14 Pridgeon Ths.

10 Saltwell Richd.

13 Southgate Wm.

3 Young John



Surgeons

14 Browne John Dallisson

12 Evans Alfred

8 Mackeson & Crompton

10 Pinching Richd Lloyd



Tailors

10 Clarke Thos.

3 Fesenmeyer Sebastian

14 Geyden Robert

13 Gilman Robt.

10 Hicks John

14 Smith Zachary

10 Stock Robert

2 Taylor Wm.

10 York Wm.



Toy Dealers

13 Lovewell Amla.

14 Rolph Thos.



Wheelwrights

10 Chapman Jas.

10 Clark Ebnzr. (& coach bldr)

14 Vale Wm.

3 Wren James



Coaches

F. Wragg's to London, seven times a day



Carriers

To London,daily.

9 Milson Richd.

4 Wells Wm.



Railway

Trains from Lea Bridge to London, Cambrdg., &c.

 

Man Loaded with Mischief
  • My favourite pub sign
  • Navigation

    And Last updated on: Wednesday, 03-Jul-2019 18:27:39 BST