KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF ESSEX 1933
WIX (anciently Wica, Wikes, Wickes, Wixe and Wycks) is a village and parish, 2½ miles south-east from Bradfield and 3 south-west from Wrabness station on the Manningtree and Harwich branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 5 east-south-east from Manningtree, 7 west-south-west from Harwich, and 12 east-by-north from Colchester, in the Harwich division of the county, petty sessional division, hundred and rural district of Tendring, Harwich county court district, Harwich rural deanery, Colchester archdeaconry and Chelmsford diocese. This parish formerly belonged to Edith, queen of Edward the Confessor. The church, dedicated either to St. Mary or St. Michael, partly rebuilt in 1740 and restored in 1888, is a small building of brick with stone arches, and consists of chancel and nave, with a detached belfry situated in the centre of the churchyard and containing one bell, and a small belfry with a bell at the west end of the church: the church will seat 210 persons. The register dates from the year 1560 and is in good condition. The living is a vicarage, yearly value with residence, in the gift of the Church Patronage Trust and held since 1933 by the Rev. Bethel Grundy M.A., B.D. of Durham University. The Methodists have two chapels here. A nunnery for Benedictines was founded here in the time of King Henry I. by Walter Mascherell, his brother Alexander and sister Edith, and was dedicated to the Virgin Mary; it was amply endowed by the founders and subsequent benefactors and its revenue at its suppression was estimated at £92 12s. 3d. Messrs. G. K. Mitchell, G. Cooper and F. James, are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and green crops generally. The area is 3,129 acres; the population in 1931 was 595.
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office (available for calls to places within a limited distance). Letters from Manningtree.
Carriers.Hooks Bros. to Harwich & Dovercourt, mon. fri. & sat.; Colchester, mon. wed. & sat.; Ipswich, tues. & fri.; Clacton, thurs