The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
ABBERTON, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Roman, 4 miles south of Colchester r. station. It has a post-office under Colchester. Acres 1,067. Real property, £1,574. Pop., 269. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £289. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is plain but good, and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
Transcribed by Noel Clark
ABBERTON is a parish, known in the reign of King Edward the Confessor, and is situated on the Layer Brook, near its confluence with the Roman river; it is in the Eastern Division of the county, Winstree hundred, Lexden and Winstree union, Colchester county court district, Mersey rural deanery, Colchester archdeaconry, and Rochester diocese, on the Mersea road, and about 5½ miles south from Colchester station, and 55 from London.
The church of St. Andrew is small, and has a nave and chancel, with a brick tower and 1 bell: it has been restored, the old gallery and pews removed, and the church fitted with open seats. The register dates from the year 1500.
The living is a rectory, yearly value £295, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. James John Holroyd, M.A., Christ’s College, Cambridge, who resides at White Hall, St. Gile’s, Colchester.
Here is a day school for boys and girls, supported by John Bawtree, esq.; also a Sunday school.
The residence of John Bawtree, esq., j.p., is a substantial brick building, situated in a well laid out grounds. Thomas Graham George White, esq., who is lord of the manor, and John Bawtree, esq; are the principal landed proprietors.
The soil is loam; subsoil, loam. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and peas. The population in 1861 was 289; the area is 1,067 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,882; rateable value, £1,643.
Parish Clerk, James Norfolk
Post Office-Mrs Deborah Harrison, receiver. Letters through Colchester arrive at 5am dispatched at 8 pm. The nearest money order office is at Colchester.
Bawtree John, j.p.
Crate Rev. Eustace Henry, Feniton cot
Austin Thomas, grocer & miller
Bare John Halls, farmer, Parsonage frm
Blackwell Richard, cooper
Cooper Thomas, farmer, Badcocks farm
Cuddon Richard, brewer & maltster
Death William, farmer, Abberton hall
Goody Charles, miller
Harrison Deborah (Mrs.), blacksmith & wheelwright
Humphrey Thomas, harness maker
May Henry, farmer
Poulton Peter, farmer Gate farm
Taylor Nathan, veterinary surgeon
Theobald John, boot & shoemaker
Wells James, farmer
Wright Samuel, grocer
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF ESSEX 1933
ABBERTON is a parish on the Layer brook, near its confluence with the Roman river, and on the Mersea road, about miles south from Colchester, 3½ south west from Wivenhoe station on the London and North Eastern railway and from 55 London; it is in the Colchester division of the county, Winstree hundred, Lexden and Winstree petty sessional division and rural district, Colchester, Clacton and Halstead joint county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Colchester and diocese of Chelmsford. The church of St. Andrew is a small building of stone and brick; it consists of a chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower of brick containing one bell: the church was restored in 1884, when the gallery and pews were removed and the latter replaced by open seats, and again in 1917-18: there are 80 sittings. The register dates from about the year 1559. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £320, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1930 by the Rev, Arthur George King L.Th. of Durham University. Here is a Methodist chapel. Abberton Manor, the residence of Maj. George Carr Richardson D.S.O., M.C. is a mansion, recently enlarged, standing in a well-wooded park of about 60 acres. The farmers are the chief landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, loam. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and peas. The area is 1,068 acres; the population in 1931 was 183.
Post, T. & Tel. Call Office. Letters through Colchester. The nearest M. O. office is at Peldon.
Conveyance.Omnibuses from Colchester to West Mersea pass through frequently daily