White’s History, Gazetteer & Directory of Essex ~ 1848
Submitted and Transcribed by Essex Villages
CRICKSEA, or Crixeth, is a small village and parish, on the north side of the navigable river Crouch, 2 miles W. N. W. of Burnham; and contains 199 souls, and 848 acres of land. Some of its houses adjoin the village of Ostend, which is mostly in Burnham parish. Lady Mildmay and J. B. Daubuz, Esq., own nearly all of the soil, and the former is lady of the manor, which formerly belonged to the Chanceux, Darcy, Harrys, and other families. Aluuard held it in the Confessors time, and Modiun at the Norman survey.
The Church (All. Saints) is a small ancient fabric, and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £9.8s. 10d., and in 1831 at £400, is consolidated with the vicarage of Althorne, where the incumbent resides, as noticed on page 520, there being no parsonage house here. The poor parishioners have 18s. 11½d, yearly from Aylett’s Charity, as noticed with Southminster; and a yearly rent-charge of £1, left by an unknown donor, out of land, called Mustards.
Gill Charles, wheelwright
Potton Elijah, vict. Greyhound, Cricksea Ferry
Rolfe James, shopkeeper, Ostend
Smith Mr. John, Cricksea Place
Taylor John, parish clerk
Baker Wm. Cricksea Place
Croxon Sar., Eliz., & L. A. Lodge
Kemp Samuel, Cricksea House
Patmore Philip, (& owner)
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
CREEKSEA, CRICKSEA, or CRIXEA, a parish in Maldon district, Essex; on the river Crouch, at Wallasea ferry, 2 miles WNW of Burnham, and 8½ SE of Maldon r. station. It has a post-office under Maldon. Acres, 985, of which 130 are water. Real property, £1,386. Pop., 175. Houses, 32. The property is subdivided. The surface is marshy. The living is a rectory, united with the village of Althorne, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400. Patron, J.H. Candy, Esq. The church is good.
Transcribed by Noel Clark