The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
FYFIELD, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; on the river Roding, 2¾ miles NNE of Chipping-Ongar, and 7½ NW of Ingatestone r. station. It has a post-office under Ongar. Acres, 2,450. Real property, £3,675. Pop., 629. Houses, 121. The property is much subdivided. A number of celts, and a large quantity of metal for casting them, were found here in 1749. The parish is a meet for the Essex hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £741. Patron, Countess Cowley. The church is ancient, but very good. Walker's endowment for a school and the poor has £47; and other charities have £19.
Transcribed by Noel Clark