Great Coggeshall pub history index
Residents at this address
Opposite the White Hart was the BLUE BOAR.
On the north side of East Street, a house or two west of Starling Leeze, was called the BLUE BOAR, a sign which very naturally occurs in this district as it was one of the cognizances of the De Veres, Earls of Oxford, who held large estates in Earls Colne and the neighbourhood. It may be that the first holder of this Inn was one of the Earl's retainers who, out of respect to his late master and to show his former connection with so noble a family, had the signboard fresh painted, and henceforth the boar, not in its natural colour but of blue, was suspended from above the door of the hostelry. This was the sign of the house one hundred and sixty years ago, but how much earlier is a question the answer to which has yet to be supplied. (History of Coggeshall to 1884 by George Fred Beaumont )
The licensee in 1792 was recorded on the Alehouse Recognizances as Thomas Goodey, at the Blue Boar, Great Coggeshall.
The licensee in 1801 was recorded on the Alehouse Recognizances as William Gazard, at the Blue Boar, Great Coggeshall.