Great Coggeshall pub history index
Residents at this address
The block of property between the White Hart and Bridge Street, or Cellar Lane, was, in 1758 and 1789, known as the GREEN DRAGON, a sign, it may be imagined, which did not harmonise very well with its neighbour, the True-Blue. The True-Blue and the Green Dragon may together represent the property which, in the 17th year of King Henry VIII. was an inn called the DRAGON. The Dragon is a very ancient trade sign in England, and would seem to have been taken from the flag of the cohorts of a Roman legion. As a national ensign this winged serpent was long continued in this land ; it was borne by Harold's standard-bearer, and in later years was carried before the kings of England in their wars.
On the south side of Church Street and now forming part of the CEDARS, formerly stood the GREEN DRAGON, a name which was attached to the property as early at least as 1693, as is evidenced by the Court Rolls of Great Coggeshall Manor. It was pulled down about 1809 and the site laid into the garden or yard of the Cedars, sometime the property of Thomas Andrews, a solicitor of this town, who died in 1826.
(History of Coggeshall to 1884 by George Fred Beaumont )