Great Coggeshall pub history index
Residents at this address
Opposite Plummers is the Parochial Reading Room, which, with the garden in front of the two red brick villas standing some way back from the street, was formerly called WYBORS, probably a corruption of the name of a family called Wilbore, which resided in this town.
In 1789, the property was known as the GREEN MAN. William Mayhew, who was member for Colchester, resided here for some time ; his opponent, Spottiswood, was first returned to Parliament, but on petition was unseated, and it is related that Mayhew arrived at the House of Commons just in time to record his vote in favour of the Reform Bill, of 1832, which was carried by a majority of only one vote.
On the same side of the road, but nearer the Market Hill, is the BLACK BOY, so called since, if not before, 1803. This, and the house between it and the Market Hill, was, in 1708, known as the CORNER HOUSE. (History of Coggeshall to 1884 by George Fred Beaumont )
The licensee in 1792 was recorded on the Alehouse Recognizances as Christopher Gardiner, at the Green Man, Great Coggeshall.