Great Coggeshall pub history index
Residents at this address
The STAR Inn, in East Street, was opposite the eastern entrance to Starling Leeze, and was freehold of the Manor of Coggeshall Hall, but the porch of it was built on the waste of the Manor of Great Coggeshall, and at the time of the survey of that Manor, in 1731, the inn had the double sign of the SWAN AND STAR.
As a star is the crest of the Innholders' Company it is not surprising that it should so frequently have been adopted by publicans as a distinguishing mark for their houses. The combination of the Swan and Star appears to be inexplicable but there was doubtless some reason in its origin. (History of Coggeshall to 1884 by George Fred Beaumont )
The licensee in 1792 was recorded on the Alehouse Recognizances as John Hunt, at the Swan and Star, Great Coggeshall.