Maldon pub history index
06th June 2001
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1845/William Hickford/../../../Post Office
Reuben Cottee is previously at the Swan
1851/Reuben Cottee/../../../Post Office Directory
1851/Reuben Cottee/Inn Keeper, Widow/49/Great Totham, Essex/Census
1851/Sarah Cottee/Daughter/24/Maldon, Essex/Census
1851/Martha A Cottee/Daughter/22/Maldon, Essex/Census
1851/Rebecca Cottee/Daughter/16/Maldon, Essex/Census
1851/Charles R Cottee/Son/12/Maldon, Essex/Census
1851/Elizabeth Sanford/House Servant/19/Southminster, Essex/Census
1851/Miles Ed Basham/Waiter/16/Maldon, Essex/Census
Reuben Cottee is at the White Hart, Witham by 1855
1861/William Samms/Innkeeper/49/Woodham Mortimer, Essex/Census**
1861/Eliza Samms/Wife/45/Christchurch, Surrey/Census**
1861/Ellen Samms/Daughter/21/Maldon, Essex/Census**
1861/Eliza Yell/House Servant/17/Danbury, Essex/Census**
1871/William Samms/../../../Post Office
1874/Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Collins/../../../Kelly's
1878/William Harvey Borrodell/../../../Kelly's
1881/William Borrodell/Licensed Victualler/57/Peldon, Essex/Census
1881/Elizabeth Borrodell/Wife/44/Beckingham, Essex/Census
1881/Eliza Hines/Domestic Servant/19/Tollesbury, Essex/Census
1881/John Munson/Ostler/52/Rettendon, Essex/Census
1882/William Harvey Borrodell/../../../Kelly's
1894/Frederick John Handley/../../../Kelly's
1895/Frederick John Handley/../../../Kelly's
1896/Walter A Rolfre/../../../Stubbings*
1898/Frederick Thomas Collin/../../../Kelly's
1925/Charles William Benbow/../../../Kelly's
1933/Frederick James Garrard/../../../Kelly's
1956-70/Peter Dudley Collison/../../../Black Eagle Journal ***
Today, Peter Dudley Collison, our Licensee of the White Horse at Maldon, Essex, is one of the rareties in the Trade. Apart from the war years, when he was a Flight Engineer in the RAF Coastal Command, he has always made his living from the Licensed Trade, as had his father and grandfather.
About 1900 his grandfather was licensee of three Trumans houses: the Cherry Tree, Dulwich; Magdala, Dulwich, and the Assembly House, Kentish Town. At the start of the first World War the Collison family moved to Broadstairs and took over the Royal Albion. In 1920 they moved to the Thames Hotel, Maidenhead, where there were now three generations. Peter Collison's grandfather died in 1930, after which the family moved to the Queens Hotel, Hawkshurst, where they stayed until 1940. Peter Collison then joined the RAF and his father became Licensee of the Royal Forest Hotel, Chingford.
At the end of the war Peter Collison spent some months in Bordeaux gaining a general knowledge of the wine trade, after which he was employed for a short time at Frascartis Restaurant until its closure.
Peter then worked for a short time as a barman at the Clarence, Old Brompton Road, until he was made manager of the Eagle and Child, Shenfield. He married in 1948, and in 1949 he became tenant of the Plough, Stockwell, and in 1953 he took the tenancy of the Star and Garter, Woolwich, which closed in 1956.
Leap Years Day, February 29th, 1956, saw the Collisons into the White Horse, Maldon. this was a very different house to what it is today. prior to their arrival it had only been a beer house. However, with a full licence, the extensive experience of Peter Collison, the thorough catering expertise of Mrs Collison and some assistance from the Brewery, this house has been transformed into a hostelry which the leading "Good Food Guides" such as Egon Ronay and Raymond Postgate are pleased to recommend. - Black Eagle Journal  ****
Mr & Mrs P D Collison, White Horse, Maldon in 1968
Kindly provided by Alex Wilkinson
P D Collison, tenant for 14 years, died on 6th June 1970 - Black Eagle
1988/../../../../Watney Truman List ****
1990/../../../../Watney Truman List ****
by the Pubs, Inns and Taverns Index for England, 1801-1900
** Provided by CG
*** Provided by Donia Stick who relates: "Nicholas Stick, born 1837, was a landowner and farmer in Roche, Cornwall. Apparently after the tin ran out the family got heavily into debt and left Cornwall. We think Nicholas arrived at the White Horse in 1898. He and his son Joseph (born 1867) and two daughters, Elizabeth (b 1874) and Edith (b 1877) all died within a few weeks of each other in May 1900, apparently of TB. James (b 1865) continued to manage the White Horse probably until 1922 when he died, but I have been unable to confirm this beyond 1917."
**** Provided by Alex Wilkinson