London 1746 Rocques map
You can search the historical London and Pub history sites by surname, street name etc.

Markhouse Arms, 33 Queens Road west, Walthamstow

Walthamstow pub history index

A listing of historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Essex. The  Essex listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

At Union Road, pre 1900

Residents at this address.

21/9/1872/Edward Genever/../../../Petty Sessions

01/8/1885/Celia Genever/../../../Petty Sessions

1/12/1894/Walter J Crowe (sole executor to Celia Genever)/../../../Petty Sessions

14/12/1895/Edward Geo Genever/../../../Petty Sessions

1901/Walter Crowe/Beer Retailer/48/Dalston, London/Census
1901/Annie Crowe/Wife/42/Wanstead, Essex/Census
1901/Bertie Crowe/Son/7/Forest Gate, Essex/Census

1902/Walter J Crowe/Beer Retailer/../../Kelly's

See BBC Archives of people at war for information about the Mercer family, here in  in 1939

1946- 63/Mr & Mrs Herbert Thorp/../../../Black Eagle Journal ***


Mr & Mrs Thorp, Markhouse Arms in 1963

Mr & Mrs Thorp, Markhouse Arms in 1963

Kindly provided by Alex Wilkinson

Just off Markhouse Road in Walthamstow is the Markhouse Arms, and there for the last 17 years have been Mr and Mrs Herbert Thorp. The Markhouse is their second house, and they took over the licence in 1946, following Mrs Thorp's parents, who had moved into the pub shortly after it had been rebuilt in the mid-thirties.
Mr and Mrs Thorp's first pub was the Lea Tavern in White Post Lane in Hackney, which they took over in 1939, just before the outbreak of war.
When the war started, Mr Thorp worked in his old trade of boiler maker in the London Docks helping to repair ships and also joined the Home Guard in which he was stationed at the docks.
Mrs Thorp looked after the Lea Tavern in the meantime, and suffered an unfortunate experience of having the pib blitzed during the latter part of the war. They both vividly remember the hardships of running a pub during the wartime.
Although the Thorps have been in but two houses, Mrs Thorp's parents, the Mercers, were in the trade 45 years holding the licence at the Old Sydney Arms (now closed), the Falcon in East India Dock Road and the Tidal Basin Tavern, Mr and Mrs Thorp were married, and later moved into the Lea tavern at about the same time as her parents took the Markhouse. Today many of Mrs Thorp's relatives are still in the trade, one of the pubs in the family being the Rest at Kenton.
Herbert Thorp was a very active sportsman in his younger days, being particularly keen on cricket and football. For a number of years he played in the LV North v South of Thames cricket matches. Nowadays he occasionally watches Essex, but is a firm supporter of West Ham United and seldom misses a home match. Although not watching Essex much, he still takes a lot of interest in the County, and this season is raffling a bat autographed last year by Essex, Lancs, Glamorgan, Surrey, Worcester, Gloucester and the Pakistanis in aid of Bill Greensmiths benefit.
Anybody going into the Markhouse would be struck by the fact that not only darts, but also shove ha'penny and cribbage are played regularly in the house.
Mr and Mrs Thorp have a family of three, two daughters, now married, and a son who is an apprentice with The Times.

*** Kindly provided by Alex Wilkinson

 

London pub history directory.

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 27-May-2020 23:24:17 BST Wednesday, 27-May-2020 23:24:17 BST