London 1746 Rocques map
You can search the historical London and Pub history sites by surname, street name etc.

Essex Brewery Tap, 2 Markhouse Road, Walthamstow

Walthamstow pub history index

A listing of historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Essex. The  Essex listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

It was formerly the tap for Colliers Brewery, and is the same place as the Brewery Tap, 73 St James Street. It was probably established in 1859, at the same time as the brewery itself, when the address was given as Marsh Street. The pub stands at the junction of St James Street and Markhouse Road, but appears to have moved to the opposite side of the junction when it was rebuilt in around 1906 (hence the two different addresses). It closed in 2006 and the premises are currently (January 2009) undergoing conversion to residential use.  .  In recent years it has traded under a succession of different names and finally closed in 2006. **

Brewery Tap, 73 St James Street, Walthamstow - in 1923

Essex Brewery Tap, St James Street, Walthamstow - in 1923

Essex Brewery Tap, St James Street, Walthamstow - in 1956

Essex Brewery Tap, St James Street, Walthamstow - in 1956

Essex Brewery Tap, 2 Markhouse Road, E17 - in November 2006

Essex Brewery Tap, 2 Markhouse Road, E17 - in November 2006

Kindly provided by Stephen Harris

Residents at this address.

1891/Charlotte Day/Beer Retailer, Widow/48/City, London/Census
1891/Joseph A Day/Son, Barman/22/Shoreditch, London/Census
1891/Alfred Day/Son, Printer & Machine Minder/21/Shoreditch, London/Census
1891/George Day/Son, Barman/19/Shoreditch, London/Census
1891/Charlotte K Day/Daughter, Barmaid/17/Shoreditch, London/Census
1891/Ernest C Day/Son/14/Shoreditch, London/Census
1891/Albert Day/Son/11/Old Ford, London/Census
1891/Edith Day/Daughter/6/Walthamstow, Essex/Census
1891/Horace Day/Son/4/Walthamstow, Essex/Census

24/2/1906/Joseph Alfred Day/../../../Petty Sessions

1908/J. A. Day/../../../Kelly's

1912/Harry James Balls/../../../Kelly's

1912/J A Day/../../../per. Waltham Forest Oral History Group **

1917/Harry James Balls/../../../Kelly's

17/11/1919/Henry James Kingston Balls/../../../Petty Sessions

1922 - 1925/Balls Bros/../../Freehold

1922/Harry James Balls/../../../Kelly's

1925/Harry James Balls/../../../Kelly's

1926 - 1935/Day Bros/../../Freehold

6/11/1926/Christopher Caleb Day/../../../Petty Sessions

1935/Christopher Caleb Day & Gibson Leitch Muir/../../../Essex Records Office - Register of Alehouse Licenses **

1935/C C Day & David Henry Smith/../../../Essex Records Office - Register of Alehouse Licenses **

1936 - 1939/G L Sheppard/../../Freehold

1937/George James Sheppherd & Lydia Elizabeth Sheppherd/../../../Essex Records Office - Register of Alehouse Licenses **

1940 - 1950/Weston & Wood/../../Freehold

1951/A W Wood & Sons/../../Freehold

1952 - 1954/W R Barrett/../../Freehold

1955/Copes Taverns Ltd/../../Freehold


** Provided by Stephen Harris (Reference - Waltham Forest Oral History Group)

 

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 27-May-2020 23:24:15 BST