Wivenhoe pub history index
The Swan closed in 1805. The older names are only known from title deeds as the Swan formerly the White Swan / Maidenhead / Maidens Head; it was already the Swan by the 1720s. It closed on three occasions in the 1790s, being revived by a new landlord on each occasion, but a fourth closure in 1805 proved final. The building is still standing but has been altered externally.
Residents at this address
The licensee in 1769 was recorded on the Alehouse Recognizances as William Pugesley, at the Swan, Wivenhoe.
The licensee in 1772 was recorded on the Alehouse Recognizances as Margaret Whitley Widow, at the Swan, Wivenhoe.
The licensee in 1776 was recorded on the Alehouse Recognizances as William Sandford, at the Swan, Wivenhoe.
The licensee in 1792 was recorded on the Alehouse Recognizances as Thomas Thorogood, at the Swan, Wivenhoe.
The licensee in 1801 was recorded on the Alehouse Recognizances as John Denton, at the Swan, Wivenhoe.