Wivenhoe pub history index
The Anglesea Arms Beerhouse, opened in the 1860s as the Old Shipwrights changing its name subsequently to the Anglesea Arms, to avoid confusion with the Shipwrights Arms.
It became an Osborne's, and thence a Colchester Brewing Co., pub. It closed in 1922, the brewery receiving compensation of no less than £821 from the authorities.
Residents at this address
186*/William J Hindwood/Ship Carpenter/../../..**
In 1871 this was the Old Shipwright Beer Houseat Queens Road, Wivenhoe
William J Hindwood, Ship carpenter aged 62 and born in Wivenhoe Essex
Elizabeth Hindwood, Wife aged 60 and born in Wivenhoe Essex
Mary A Brown, Daughter, Master mariner's wife aged 32 and born in Wivenhoe Essex
Minnie Brown, Granddaughter aged 8 and born in Wivenhoe Essex
Harry Brown, Grandson aged 5 months and born in Wivenhoe Essex
1872/Elizabeth Hindwood/../../../..**
1881/William E. Cally/Carpenter & Publican/27/Thorpe, Suffolk/Census
1881/Elizabeth Cally/Wife/29/Wivenhoe, Essex/Census
1881/James Emson/Boarder, Ship Caulker/36/Great Yarmouth, Norfolk/Census
1881/Harry Emson/Boarder, Ship Caulker/30/Great Yarmouth, Norfolk/Census
1881/Anne Tabor/General Servant/15/Wivenhoe, Essex/Census
1896/C. Gardner/Licensee/../../..*
by 1899/C. Gardner/Pensioner, RN/../../..**
by 1911/Elizabeth Joliffe/../../../..**
1915/George Samuel Hase/../../../..**
1916 - 1922/Henry Edward Bishop/../../../..**
* Provided by Terry Garland
** Provided by Peter Kay