Southampton pub history index
In 1869 it was called the Halfway House as a beer house owned
by the Scrase’s Star Brewery, In August 1916. Phillip Flint the Landlord
was fined £5 for being drunk on the premises and selling intoxicating liquor
outside permitted hours.
In the late 1920’s it was taken over by Strong’s Romsey Brewery. It was granted a full licence on 8th March 1960, It became owned by Whitbread in 1969.
It closed on 5th April 1974 but reopened as Compton Arms in October 1980, it then changed it’s name to Aggie Grey’s before closing down for good. *
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southampton, Hampshire . The Southampton, Hampshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Aggie Grey’s, 59 St Mary’s Road, at junction with Compton Walk, Southampton
Now a Night Club called The Edge
Both kindly provided by Bob Bates
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1881/Elizabeth Sibley/Beer House Keeper, Widow/68/Jersey, Channel
1881/Charles Sibley/Son, Wheelwright/27/Southampton, Hampshire/Census
1881/Rose Sibley/Daughter/23/Southampton, Hampshire/Census
1881/William Sibley/Son/19/Southampton, Hampshire/Census
1881/Amiel Sibley/Son, Plumbers Apprentice/17/Southampton, Hampshire/Census
1881/Rebecca Sibley/Daughter/17/Southampton, Hampshire/Census
1881/Albert Sibley/Son/10/Southampton, Hampshire/Census
1881/Ellen Sibley/Daughter/8/Southampton, Hampshire/Census
1881/Amy Sibley/Daughter/5/Southampton, Hampshire/Census
1881/Thomas Trump/Boarder, Carpenter/40/Beaminster, Dorset/Census
1881/Frederick Coward/Boarder, Window Blind Maker/27//Census
* Provided By Bob Bates
**** Provided By Kevan