Southampton pub history index
John Webber was the first Landlord of this pub dating back to the 1840’s when it was in those days a quiet Country pub. It belonged to Cooper’s Brewery before becoming a Watney’s Brewery House, in 1990 it changed its name to Ringside. It was sold to new owners in 1993 becoming a free house, the name reverted back to Blacksmiths Arms, the pub closed in 2007. In January 2013 work started to convert the pub into flats and houses on the car park and beer garden. *
November 1916 saw landlord Walter Petty fined 10/- (50p) for allowing treating, in January 1921 he was again fined this time £4 for two offences of selling Stout over the permitted price. *
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southampton, Hampshire . The Southampton, Hampshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Blacksmiths Arms, 197 Romsey Road, junction Winchester Road, Southampton
Kindly provided by Bob Bates
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1871/Jno King/../../../Coxs Directory ****
1884/John Saunders/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1898/Felix West/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1901/Brodie Nicholson/Licensed Victualler/41/Scotland/Census ****
1901/Emma Nicholson/Wife/39/Southsea, Hampshire/Census
1916/Walter T Petty/../../../Kellys Directory ****
* Provided By Bob Bates
**** Provided By Kevan