At 5 Coxford Road, Shirley in 1901 census.
The original pub site dates back to the 1870’s this beer house belonged to
Strong’s Romsey Brewery, it gained a full licence in 1938 when the Star Tap was
transferred to it, in 1969 it became a Whitbread’s Brewery House when
Whitbread’s Brewery acquired Strong’s Brewery, it reopened after a major
refurbishment in 1986 with the name Tudors. The original name Bricklayer’s Arms
was a direct reference to the brickfields which once occupied the site. The pub
closed in the mid 1990’s and was demolished in 2002 to make way for flats.
Other Names: Bricklayer’s Arms, Tudors. *
Southampton pub history index
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southampton, Hampshire . The Southampton, Hampshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Bricklayer’s Arms, Coxford Road, Southampton
Bricklayer’s Arms, Coxford Road, Southampton - Demolished and rebuilt as flats
Kindly provided by Bob Bates
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1901/William Richards/Beer Retailer/35/Shirley, Hampshire/Census ****
1901/Edith Richards/Wife/33/Shirley, Hampshire/Census
1901/Elizabeth Richards/Daughter/10/Shirley, Hampshire/Census
1901/William Richards/Son/9/Shirley, Hampshire/Census
1901/Edwin Richards/Son/7/Shirley, Hampshire/Census
1901/Arthur Richards/Son/5/Shirley, Hampshire/Census
1901/Victor Richards/Son/3/Shirley, Hampshire/Census
1901/Blanche Richards/Daughter/1/Shirley, Hampshire/Census
1901/Amy Good/General Servant/15/Shirley, Hampshire/Census
1940/Stanley Woodhouse/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1946/Stanley Woodhouse/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1954/Stanley Woodhouse/../../../Kellys Directory ****
* Provided By Bob Bates
**** Provided By Kevan