Southampton pub history index
Replacing the Mock Gothic Midanbury Castle this 1935 Cooper’s Brewery pub was built when the Forester’s Arms in West Street surrendered its licence, it became a Watney’s Brewery House when they acquired Cooper’s Brewery in December 1986 it reopened after a conversion to a Chef & Brewer Carvery this project was short lived and it reverted to being an ordinary pub again, however it from outbreaks off trouble culminating it 2010 with an attempted stabbing, the pub finally closed in Autumn 2012, controversially it has been turned it into a Tesco Express. *
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southampton, Hampshire . The Southampton, Hampshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The Castle, Witts Hill (Trent Road), Southampton
Kindly provided by Bob Bates
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1940/Stephen Hy Roberts/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1946/Stephen Hy Roberts/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1954/Jas T White/../../../Kellys Directory ****
* Provided By Bob Bates
**** Provided By Kevan