Southampton pub history index
Dating back to the 1830’s when this Wheatsheaf Brewery beer house had a one Charles Bray as landlord; it was in those days the Tap Bar for nearby Wheatsheaf Hotel. It came under the ownership of Scrase’s Star Brewery in 1894 when they purchased the Wheatsheaf Brewery. It changed its name to the Electric Arms in the 1890’s to reflect the fact that it was next to the generator that supplied electricity which drove the trams in Bernard Street, it closed in 1925 and became a private residence until 1961 when it was demolished under a redevelopment of the area. *
August 1909 saw Landlord Aaron Rogers fined £2 for selling intoxicating liquor outside permitted hours, March 1911 saw landlord R Smith fined £1.6s.0d for being drunk and disorderly and assaulting a policeman, March 1917 saw landlord Fred Sanders fined £5 for selling intoxicating liquor outside permitted hours. *
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southampton, Hampshire . The Southampton, Hampshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Electric Arms, 1 A Upper Back of the Walls, Southampton
Kindly provided by Bob Bates
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1907/Aaron Rogers/../../../Kellys Directory ****
* Provided By Bob Bates
**** Provided By Kevan