Southampton pub history index
In the photo can be seen the house’s that were built on the sports ground. The Elephant & Castle was situated at 180 Bursledon Road. There was a pub on this site in the 1860's The original pub on this site dated back to the 1860s and was nicknamed 'The Old Black House' due to it's corrugated walls and tarpaulin roof. The Elephant and Castle was built in the 1930's and was once owned by Mew Langton's Brewery. It was built next to the Mew Langton Brewery's Sports Ground. Twice refurbished in 1966 and again in the 1980's, when it was relaunched as Roast Inn Pub/Restaurant. It was demolished in the early 1990's and is now the site of council owned houses. The Sports Ground used to host Cole’s Fun Fair prior to it setting up on Southampton Common for Easter. *
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southampton, Hampshire . The Southampton, Hampshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Elephant & Castle, Bursledon Road, Southampton
Rear view of the Elephant & Castle from the sports ground.
Kindly provided by Bob Bates
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1907/Herbert Hillier/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1935/Albert E Fulbrook/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1940/David Butcher/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1946/Donald A Greenlees/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1954/Donald A Greenlees/../../../Kellys Directory ****
* Provided By Bob Bates
**** Provided By Kevan